headphones or no?

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Just wondering why some choose to use headphones?I tried it one time until I noticed I was being followed by a wild animal, it was a panther or some kind of cat here in Florida.I couldn't hear him then all of a sudden a raccoon took off like a wild fire and I looked around and seen the cat running the opposite way!! Scared the you know what out of me, that's why I dont use them anymore!!!!!!!
I have to hear whats going on around me

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Headphones let you hear fainter signals. Plus, they don't alert everyone around you when you hit a signal. Of course if I had big cats around, I probably wouldn't use them. I probably wouldn't detect at all. ;D

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I like using headphones- -concentration on the tones are better. Disadvantage is not being aware of activity around you. Take a buddy with!! :)

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Yea, I can see maybe the beach, but never the woods again for . Thank god for coons,they are good for something after all.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been so near a busy highway I couldn't hear the detector without headphones. Also the noise is sometimes annoying to people around you such as at the beach or in a club hunt. I always use mine and have some heavy ones for winter use, and some really light ones that fit behind the head in the summer. Monty

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine to drown out loud noise an to hear faint signals.granted at 90-105 out they get hot wearin um but hey gotta do what ya gotta do.

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
No, the thing is so stinking loud I can't imagine using headphones unless they had a colume controll and I could turn them down.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impartial on headphones. I never use them in the woods--I like to hear if I'm being approached by anyone or anything, and many of our spots are quite remote. But also, they get snagged by tree branches all the time and ripped off. The cord gets tangled up on brush when you lay the detector down to dig a hole, etc.

In fields, I sometimes use them for warmth if it's 20 degrees out. I also use them if it's windy or noisy where I'm hunting.

And I use a pair of 30 year old pioneer "bubble" headphones my father bought dirt cheap in Vietnam. They work like a champ and the cord is Long. 8)

Regards,

Buck

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess it depends on the situation and how important it is for you to find the deepest smallest targets possible, such as when gold nugget prospecting. I actually use a device made by Koss that connects between my headphones and detector that amplifies the faintest signal to an audible level that I would not even be able to hear otherwise.

Test it yourself. With headphones on find the faintest signal that you can hear, then un-plug them from your detector and take them off, now can you hear it on the speaker? didn't think so. You may be surprised at the signals even better headphones are capable of picking up depending on the frequencies.

GG~

blacktoe

Greenie
Jul 3, 2007
S.E. Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Fisher F4, Tek Omega
One major reason for headphones is they make your batteries last longer. I use lightweight with a adapter in the summer and fullcup in the winter. The speaker on your detector uses more power than a headphone.

blacktoe

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
It makes sense not to wear them in dangerous areas, I wear them on the beach, or in areas where there is a lot of noise, to block out the background noise and hear the signals better. I have heard they make your batteries last longer as well.

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
First of all, what detector do you have? A high end unit that has varying signal noises? Or a lower end unit (like me) that simply goes "ding ding"? The ding-ding units surely don't require you to "hear certain signals better". It's either a ding, or no ding. Now, if you are in a quiet area and don't want to disturb people, sure, use headphones.
I just spent the last 2 days in Destin, swinging an Ace250. I thought it would really annoy people, but it didn't. The wind was blowing and waves are crashing, which dampened the 'ding ding' sounds. Plus, you are steadily moving. It's not like you are constantly standing next to someone with a machine going "ding ding" nonstop.
I probably got a 'hit' about every 20 feet or so. So it's not like the machine is alarming at all times.
Now, if you have one of the higher end units where you are listening for changes in certain tones, then yes, it would be nice to have headphones.

Hope this helps. :)

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of Rattlers for just that reason, so I can hear what's around me and also a pair of Grey ghosts for regular hunting. I would never go detecting without a decent pair of headphones. I've experienced the differences between cheap headphones and good ones and it's night and day. I can honestly say that I've dug targets I would not of gotten with a regular pair of
30 ohm headphones but maybe that's because my hearing isn't as good as it used to be.
HH
John

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones??? What ... are you kidding? I wouldn't even be using a metal detector there.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Mr.Jody said:
Yea, I can see maybe the beach, but never the woods again for . Thank god for coons,they are good for something after all.

Yeap, eatin.

Grilled coon is something you'll never forget.

As far as those cats, don't worry, they will not attack you. It's very rare for a human to be attacked by a cat. Yeah, I've read the stories too, but it's like one in ten million.

I use headphones until it gets hot. You will be surprised by what you're missing without them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread