Heard story about a possible old gun cache on a creek south of Libby, Mt.

cjrjr507

Sep 24, 2006
Libby, Mt.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All

Just got back from working one of my clients this morning and he told me about a possible old gun cache on one of the creeks south of Libby, Mt. He said he would take me there to try to find it with my detector. He heard the story from someone he knew a long time ago. Can't wait until the snow is gone in that area. Should be interesting. I am going to try to do some research on it as he told me the name of the family that buried the guns.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Can I come along? I'm eating my heart out.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found several old guns (5 total) all together in a creek bed one time when we were kids. We were fishing and he just stumbled upon them as they were exposed in a shallow area. One was a multi-barrel shotgun and another was a rifle with a cylinder like a revolver (or a revolver with a long barrel and stock). The rest were single shot shotguns. They were heavily pitted and in pretty bad shape. No wood left from the stocks to really speak of. Still, that was a pretty cool find.

Good luck, they're out there.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juice, check this link and see if this was what you found back then.

Colt revolving rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were later converted to fire metallic cartridges.

I would say that was probably it. It's been almost 29 years ago and they were in really bad shape then, so without seeing them side by side It's just a guess. I do remember it being cap fired, so that's probably what it was. There again, many companies that are forgotten to history made knockoffs of just about anything ever invented. I do remember there was remnants of a cloth bag in the same spot and we assumed that was the bag they were all. Like I said in my other post, there's stuff out there for someone to find. Being in the right place at the right time is half the battle. Keeping your eyes open is the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions