$1,500.00 to spend... What metal detector to buy??? Suggestions....

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good afternoon! I currently own a Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition Metal Detector. I am happy with its performance, but want to give it to my youngest son as an upgrade to his childhood MD'er.
My question is:
I have 1,500 dollars to buy a Metal Detector, but am not sure what I want to buy...
I will say that I search for coins and rings.... I do want a Good gold feature on the machine. I like depth (obviously), and enjoy notching out junk from time to time. Does anyone know if you can barter with the stores and ask if they can take off all the (FREE STUFF PACKAGES) and just charge me for the actual price of the detector only!!! I don't need the digging tool, nor the magazine subscription, the magnifying glass..... I just want get the best deal on a detector....

Thanks for your help in advance.... Please be precise on your decisions and as to why you recommend this certain detector.... You guys & Gals RAWK!!!!

--MD'erStEvO--

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us a little bit about your normal hunting conditions? For instance I hunt some very old colonial sites that are deep in the woods and I don't normally have to deal with much trash and the iron is fairly minimal. We have some very fertile soil in spots and I've pulled large cents and big buttons from the 12" mark and a bit deeper with a monster colonial button. So I needed a deep machine that I could swing fast. I bought a T2 SE and recently got an F75 LTD from a good friend. I can swing em fast and cover lots of ground and they are both deep deep machines. I also am far away from emi so never worried about that. If you are going to be hunting in lots of iron or trash the XP Deus is a machine that separates great. It will pluck the good stuff out of the crap. I think with a few more details we can give you the best advice. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on here
Btw you absolutely don't have to pay for all of that crap that certain unnamed shops to to throw in. Lots of vendors on here that will work with you

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you buy from most of the vendors here on TNet they all will work with you on a price without the extras!
Bart at bigboyhobbies.com has given me great deals in the past.
Will you be beach and water hunting?
If so, I will always suggest the Minelab Excalibur II as it is a great waterproof detector!
I'm sure someone will chime in with suggestions for other brands and models if you don't do the beach!
Best of luck! Welcome to TNet!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are interested in JUST a metal detector, I have to recommend the XP Deus WS4 package with the 11" coil. It costs $1550, but for that price, it is unmatched. You can customize a program to get those deep dimes, or have one that picks out good targets in a sea of iron. All this power in a wireless, lightweight setup. It is hands down the best bang for the buck, at least in my eyes. The 10 pre-programmed settings are great to get started, making it really easy to pick up and go. And once you learn the settings (which are super easy to change on the fly), you unlock even more power. There are many comparisons on YouTube, so once you get a short list of detectors, you will likely find a video comparing a few of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MD'erStEvO

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahab8-- I have about 3+ miles of un-farmed FARM land. It's as far as you can see!!! The grass and weeds are about 2-6" inches in certain spots. There is no access route to this land except through my backyard. My Italian Landlords have given me permission to work this land.... My goal is to maintain a healthy American-Italian relationship with them and honor their land while working it. I'm looking for a deep seeking machine, and I do want to hunt beaches... I appreciate your help and comments... Thanks.... HH
--RustyGold-- I appreciate the recommendation on the Minelab II for beaches and water... I have to do my research to see if it hunts well on land (deep) and can find gold... Gold isn't my priority... Mainly coins and jewelry... Yesterday my son and I both found rings.... It was AWESOME!!! Thanks and HH....
--G.A.P.metal-- Yes, I am located in Italy!!! I plan to hunt farm lands, parks, beaches, and any site that will allow me... I respect the heritage and history of this Country and can't wait to see what it has to offer in the forms of (coins, jewelry, relics, & beach treasures).... I truly appreciate your advise with all your experience!!!

OP
OP
MD'erStEvO

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver_Simon,
I love the fact that this site and its members offer all this info in such a timely manner!!! You guys & gals are AWESOME!!! I will definitely keep the XP Deus (without package).... I will see what I can get it for without the package as I don't need most of the little items. I really want a great detector and I will review the crud outta this one... Excellent recommendation!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can assure you that the T2 SE and The F75 LTD are very deep. But they are not the best on wet salt beaches. I have learned to use them successfully in these conditions but certainly better machines for that. The beauty of these two machines is that they've been upgraded to fight emi and both have an option for a faster recovery speed. Last year was my first full season and I was blown away at the finds I made. They included a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling and a 1664 Cob along with tons of other coins. Anybody that tells you these machines are relic machines isn't using them correctly. I will also tell you that although I don't have a Deus it is definitely a killer state of the art machine. A good buddy of mine has a CTX 30-30 and also the Deus. I can't speak for the depth of the Deus but can certainly put you in contact with an experienced user of one. I hope all this helps. You will get great advice on here

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have seen from online vendors, the Deus is rarely offered with those silly bundles of shovels, bags etc. No offense to Kellyco, but their bundles seem extremely ridiculous, claiming that some cheap nylon detector bag is worth $80. Bart from Bigboyhobbies.net is really great to deal with. He is known for giving a TNet discount, so it wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

OP
OP
MD'erStEvO

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver_Simon,
I spent all night on Bigboyhobbies.net researching the XP Deus (11" Coil), not to mention watched all their videos of detecting for coins! The two gentlemen in those videos really draw ya in... They are pretty funny as well. You were right about the bundle stuff. I see 950.00 for the detector and wireless headphones. That's what I'm talking about. Gonna finish checking out the reviews on it. Have a few more detectors to research, but I am definitely interested in the XP Deus as a top runner!!! Thanks again for your help!!! --MD'erStEvO--

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be better off getting it from the UK, you can get the Deus Lite package, WS4 headphones and 11" coil for less than $1200. But I would recommend the full package if your going for the Deus.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread