Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday found me back in the cow pasture, dodging cow pies and looking for mid 1800s house site relics and coins. Although I didn't expect to find anything great, it was too nice a day not to go detecting, especially with winter approaching fast. I was concentrating in a corner of the pasture near a tree line, the trees being walnuts, which were all over the ground. I dug a Large Cent and another "coin like" disk about two feet from each other. The other disk turned out to be an 1865 Two Cent Piece. A large cent and two center back to back - YAY!!, wait hold the YAY! These coins were totally eaten up. I have dug several 2 cent pieces and they always seem to hold up pretty well, but not this time. Maybe the tannic acid from the walnuts combined with cow urine created a chemical monster that the coins couldn't stand up to. I need a virgin colonial site bad :laughing7:

Attachments

• 10-23-11 all.jpg
    10-23-11 all.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Indian Heads.jpg
    Indian Heads.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • LC and 2 Center.jpg
    LC and 2 Center.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 2 cent piece.jpg
    2 cent piece.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,111
Upvote 0
still some great finds regardless. Look on the bright side, at least you can still ID them

:icon_thumleft:

man, that 2 center really is eaten up.
no telling what else one could dissolve with a bucket of walnuts in cow urine. ech...

i'm about ready for another virgin colonial site, myself! :thumbsup:

Agreed still great finds, :thumbsup: I've got some places that does that one is a shell bed full of animal bones & black stinking mud it will eat copper up like no tomorrow.But still hit it as it seems to preserve the pewter buttons well.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

yeah some of those pastures have tons of fertilizers on them besides what the cows dumped on them...lucky to get them in that shape...not like hunthicks the other day, his detector was actually picking up cow patties :laughing9:

That makes you just want to cry Steve like an eagle button that turns to dust in your hands. You still dug some good coins Bud. Better now than in 10 years as the acid in the soil there might have them good and toasty by then. You have enjoyed a good year even if it snows tomorrow and lasts all Fall & Winter based on the finds you have posted. HH, Quindy.

The Patriot said:
yeah some of those pastures have tons of fertilizers on them besides what the cows dumped on them...lucky to get them in that shape...not like hunthicks the other day, his detector was actually picking up cow patties :laughing9:

You really can get a signal from a cow paddy :laughing7: :laughing7: I have had it happen to me many times and have talked to others who have too. You just have to know whether it is a real signal or a false one, and even if it's real, it's still probably not worth digging :tongue3:

VOL1266-X said:
That makes you just want to cry Steve like an eagle button that turns to dust in your hands. You still dug some good coins Bud. Better now than in 10 years as the acid in the soil there might have them good and toasty by then. You have enjoyed a good year even if it snows tomorrow and lasts all Fall & Winter based on the finds you have posted. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, but I'm hoping to make a late charge yet this year :thumbsup:

still great finds, and cool relics, what is the "T" shaped item?

My toasted copper rate is at least 50% maybe a little higher.

Lots of hunt time left (hopefully) The little snow you guys got / getting today won't last. My last hunt last year was Dec 21, mud was freezing on the digger though.

Goes4ever said:
still great finds, and cool relics, what is the "T" shaped item?

Thanks, I believe the "T" shaped item is from a barrel spigot. It has a hole in the stem that would allow the liquid to flow when it was turned in the right direction.

Kind of beat the snot out of those coins, but the Indians still look nice and since I've never found a 2 center I'd be way more than happy with that one. Good finds, all in all.

Sorry to hear that Steve,like you said those 2 center's are pretty tough.Hopefully the DIV will change all of that for you :thumbsup:

civilman1 said:
Sorry to hear that Steve,like you said those 2 center's are pretty tough.Hopefully the DIV will change all of that for you :thumbsup:

Joe, I had to drop out of the fall DIV. Looking forward to one of the spring hunts though.

That 2-center looks a lot like some of the coppers in VA.. The ones in plowed fields were always toasted to the max. Yard coppers were a different story :dontknow:

keep at it, you gotta get that halfdime I predicted earlier this year :laughing9:

umrgolf said:
That 2-center looks a lot like some of the coppers in VA.. The ones in plowed fields were always toasted to the max. Yard coppers were a different story :dontknow:

keep at it, you gotta get that halfdime I predicted earlier this year :laughing9:

Jeff, that half dime keeps eluding me, but I will do my best to make your prediction a reality!!

that just comes with the territory i guess. like someone else said be thankful you can ID em.better than 2 plain pitted discs. still a nice hunt :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back