old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are several artifacts that I found yesterday. The one at the top, left shows signs of an inpact break. Either it hit a bone or it missed it's target and hit a rock. The last two photo's is possibly up for grabs. A friend of mine suggests that it is a Buffalo effigy, possibly used by the tribe medicine man. Not sure but could be. Thanks for viewing! folder4 007.JPG folder4 008.JPG folder4 010.JPG folder4 011.JPG

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice Digger! I do read a lot about eccentric points. Some think they are effigy pieces and others don't. Personally, I can't think of any thing else that they could be used for . Either way, you did great and they are all beautiful. That deserves a positive head bang. Lol. Keep up the good work. Are you in the same area as Mr. Larson?

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 200 mi. further west.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
old digger said:
About 200 mi. further west.

I got ya. Rather nice hike . Nice find . Let us know what you find it to be. It is truly one of the best finds I have seen since joining.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some may have been broke and re sharpened. I would not call them heartbreakers at all. I like a salvaged tool. Somewhere I have a monster broken blade. That breaks my heart.Nice finds.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
That's one hell of a fine - really outstanding! Congratulations. How you found eccentrics like that before or is that your first? I'd love to find one.

Joe

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve! The material that was used in the broken point, at the top, right, looks like it was used in the thumbscraper that I sent to River Rat. folder 2 005.JPG folder 2 007.JPG

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
that was nice of you to send her some things
that material you just posted is yellow jasper i think
i like her, she is great
i hope some day i can get a piece of that bright red material she finds

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one hell of a fine - really outstanding! Congratulations. How you found eccentrics like that before or is that your first? I'd love to find one.

Joe

Thanks Joe! This is the first artifact that I have found that had extra flaking to make it look like a possible figure. I have not seen a point that has come from this area that has notches along the edge of the point.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
one idea i have heard is just that it could have been a form of doodling or maybe just showing off to the young ones what they can do if they practice
maybe fun toys or trinkets
i say maybe because i do not know, and who does for sure?
maybe somebody does, but i sure don't mean this as gospel.......does any of what i mentioned as far as a purpose make sense to anyone???
steve

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice Digger! I do read a lot about eccentric points. Some think they are effigy pieces and others don't. Personally, I can't think of any thing else that they could be used for . Either way, you did great and they are all beautiful. That deserves a positive head bang. Lol. Keep up the good work. Are you in the same area as Mr. Larson?

I never hear any speculation that the unusually-worked pieces (such as the translucent one above) could be practice pieces.

Logic dictates that there must have been a fair number of pieces of stone, probably many 'wasters,' that were used by youngsters for knapping practice. With a bit of experience, these youngsters no doubt produced crude points or tools which they practiced affixing to shafts or handles. I imagine that a young Native American made a useful scraper for her mother just as a modern girl scout might make a new potholder for her mom.

Knapping was a survival skill, and it was also a source of pride. But, it is a learned skill, so the evidence of that learning process must be around us if we can recognize it.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Harry Pristis said:
I never hear any speculation that the unusually-worked pieces (such as the translucent one above) could be practice pieces.

Logic dictates that there must have been a fair number of pieces of stone, probably many 'wasters,' that were used by youngsters for knapping practice. With a bit of experience, these youngsters no doubt produced crude points or tools which they practiced affixing to shafts or handles. I imagine that a young Native American made a useful scraper for her mother just as a modern girl scout might make a new potholder for her mom.

Knapping was a survival skill, and it was also a source of pride. But, it is a learned skill, so the evidence of that learning process must be around us if we can recognize it.

Thanks Harry. You sure can break the facts down. Do you suppose some were doodles, or was that your indication in the first paragraph? The one digger has really doesn't look like a novice's work to me. If it were thick and, as you said, crude, it would seem to be a beginners work . Boy, if he was going for a basic point, he had a lot if work ahead of him. Thanks Harry. I always enjoy what you put in.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some fine ones! I really like the doodle one. Thanks for showing

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

i agree harry
i hold your posts with a high regard
i hope you were not thinking that i said they were practice pieces
i thought maybe an experienced knapper could have showed these pieces
to a young learner or student to show them what they could do IF they practiced this skill.....
.....but not meant they were practice pieces
it is apparent your knowledge of these topics exceeds what i will ever know
and i always value and appreciate your posts

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Always thought that a student would be shown the basics, turned loose and then his finished product would be further refined, finished, sort of corrected by the teacher to produce a usable tool, point, knife, scraper or whatever. Thought this because I just have never found many really awkward looking points. Broken yes, but always finished nicely. Also, always thought that the little fetishes or creatures were made for two reasons, kids or luck. But I am sure no expert and I will go with what the majority believes. One other thing I wondered about. We see a lot of artifacts in central Texas, but I've never seen many of these small sculptures and I've never found one. Wonder why?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Practice pieces are something I've heard as an explanation for the eccentrics. Doodles is another. Both make sense to me.

As to 'beginner points' - I have found a whole lot of crappy points. I once considered making a frame of the worst whole, undamaged points I'd ever found. Never got around to doing it but I could fill a case with them....

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i found the ones in ND that i posted on that link
also want to say that we find a lot of complete points that are hardly much worth talking about and actually look like 'beginners work'
i hear them called 'early' or 'crude' but i think harry nailed it more properly in his description
but never the less they are still complete examples and in my opinion still served the purpose even though not pretty
i agree that some of those pieces are "wasters" also
i don't pick up and save many of them
for one or maybe two reasons
too many
what should i do with them..put them in a frame and show them at a show?.....i don't think they would bring much attention

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions