birds heads, game pieces, whistle,effigys, fish hook, etc (all bone)

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if I posted these 2 birds before (first image)

I think I posted the whole frame with the unbroken one before (second image)

there is another bird in the second image with its head broken off

I believe there are 2 tomahawk effigys, one has the handle missing
The KRF point in the middle is extremely sharp
I think the birds are cranes but not sure
also a copper bangle

now what is the chert thing to the right of the copper bangle??? a spider effigy??

Attachments

• sc00bfffca.jpg
    sc00bfffca.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 667
  • Steve B artifacts.jpg
    Steve B artifacts.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0
Amazing pieces! That flint eccentric is really nice.
Chuck

Re: birds heads, game pieces, whistle, effigys, fish hook, etc (all bone)

thanks OHIO
what is a flint eccentric?

Wow, your finds are awesome! Haven't found any bone items around here (except one small bead) so it is really great to see the pieces that you and DorkFish find. Thanks for sharing!

I have one more bird head someplace
it has the handle broken
I never realized this bone stuff is so rare
should I try to get a photo of the other one??
what is an eccentric??

Eccentrics are randomly shaped, flaked doo dads I think.
I always figured they were Indian kids practicing their knapping skills. Maybe seeing who can make the most notches in a piece.

very interesting GL
I now know what you mean and I thank you for it

Larson, here's an Eccentric I found years ago that I believe is an effigy of either a Turtle or a Lizard.

Attachments

• Steve Valentine Collection 137 (Large).jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 137 (Large).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 846
  • Steve Valentine Collection 137 (Large).jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 137 (Large).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 388
So what is the definition of Eccentric? Knapped but not a tool?
I can easily see an animal in Dorkfishes picture! Do they always represent something? If so maybe spider or even a star or sun for Larsens...
Great stuff, I wish I could find half as nice artifacts. You guys are blessed for sure.

GL said:
So what is the definition of Eccentric? Knapped but not a tool?
I can easily see an animal in Dorkfishes picture! Do they always represent something? If so maybe spider or even a star or sun for Larsens...
Great stuff, I wish I could find half as nice artifacts. You guys are blessed for sure.
eccentrics are an interesting little topic,I happen to have one that I have wondered about.I did not find this artifact but it was found at one of my sites and the person traded it to me for a couple of points i had.I have talked to a couple people about this piece and did a little research.I asked an old timer i know that is a very knowledgable and life long collector about this piece and he went into to telling me that he thought it may be a thunderbird point,it does resemble a bird,anyways i did some research and apparently ancient man had what we would call god or a mythological god called the thunder bird gods.i never found any reference to certain artifacts having a mythological origin,but it is a little food for thought.thats my two cents.
greg-rocksartifactcollection042.jpg

Larson,

Those bone pieces are just incredible. In the 2nd frame the gray item can only be a mammoth or mastatdon.
That would tend to date the piece, at least a minimum age.
Friggin' awesome!!!!
In fact this whole thread is fantastic!
I call this stuff BANNER :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Whether it qualifies of not it qualifies to me!!

BW

Beautiful finds Larson.:icon_thumleft:

2nd image that big bone stick with the animal picture on it
on the right end or large end there is a picture of a baby on a cradle board with a feather in its head and its hand sticking out

see it?

That eccentric is very infesting. All of it is incredible - but I am really into those eccentrics. The ones found in belize were the originals. Used for cutting (self). I got into the tussinger eccentrics, and now they are coming out of Africa (southern sahara). I really wonder what the heck that is all about. But what a beautiful haul that is.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back