HEAVIEST COIN TO DATE

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, it's not the heaviest by weight, but merely by name. And My first One Pound coin ever. England makes an interesting coin. Love the inscription on the side. And it's sooo thick.

Pound_Obv.JPGPound_Rev.JPGPound_Side.JPG

Upvote 10
That is very very nice. Did you find it locally?

I didn't find it at Dennis the Menace park. LOL. Found it at a Elementary school ball field here in the foothills near hwy 41.

I found one of those last week, at a middle school in Michigan!! Very unique coin. I am guessing mine was a lost show and tell object. Nice find:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Man that's one thick coin.cool

Yes, they are chunky little coins...the Brits know how to make coins right. That's what our dollar coins (that never seem to catch on) should look and feel like. I think there's one type from England, Scotland, and Wales if I recall correctly. It's also worth about $1.50 if you go to England--I've dug several over there while detecting in a local field to my in-laws and they add up fast...sometimes I can actually afford a pint when I'm done detecting! :laughing7:

last week I used a ruler to recover dropped nickels under the magner coin machine at the cu in Kingston,ny and out slides a 1993 "degus et tutamen" one pounder, a few qtrs, dimes and nicks making up for a few weeks of machine short counts.

Yes, they are chunky little coins...the Brits know how to make coins right. That's what our dollar coins (that never seem to catch on) should look and feel like. I think there's one type from England, Scotland, and Wales if I recall correctly. It's also worth about $1.50 if you go to England--I've dug several over there while detecting in a local field to my in-laws and they add up fast...sometimes I can actually afford a pint when I'm done detecting! :laughing7:

I, personally, could never stand the £1 coin when I spent some time in England. If I remember correctly, the smallest paper denomination is £5. So, every time you bought something inexpensive like a candy bar, or whatever, your change from your £5 note was always 3 or 4 thick, heavy coins. By the end of the day you might be carrying a pound (literally) of bulky coins in your front pocket. :laughing7: I don't know why they don't just print a £1 paper note? Oh, well...

That's one hefty looking coin!

I, personally, could never stand the £1 coin when I spent some time in England. If I remember correctly, the smallest paper denomination is £5. So, every time you bought something inexpensive like a candy bar, or whatever, your change from your £5 note was always 3 or 4 thick, heavy coins. By the end of the day you might be carrying a pound (literally) of bulky coins in your front pocket. :laughing7: I don't know why they don't just print a £1 paper note? Oh, well...

Hi CS,

Well I did say they know how to make coins right--not paper notes! :laughing7: ...I agree with you that England should also have a £1 note too as all those £1 coins do get heavy!

Last edited:
We like these and call them nuggets...

A pocket full of heavy coins at the end of the day means more coins in the jar. The American method of a Savings account.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back