Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope everyone is having a great Summer and finding many treasures. I have what might be considered a dumb question so I’m looking for a smart answer. Today I went to a random spot and noticed pieces of broken bottles, old square nails,and surprisingly an old flat button next to a tree just not even an inch down. I know would not be able to get permission to metal detect this area. Has anyone ever just taken your pinpointed and tried to find a target and had any luck?

Upvote 11

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper Ive used mine in bottle dumps lots of targets most times you can just dig cause too mant signals if the finds are spread out a pin pointer can alert you to metal but as you know doesnt go very deep. My biggest piece of advice is be careful if theres broken glass it will be buried in the ground as well

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks A2coins! I’ve got to be really discreet in this area and think I can pull it off with just my pin pointer. I think I can just dig with a discarded stick. Needless to say the flat button was quite a surprise! Thanks GaRebel, good to be back. We have not been detecting at all this Summer. I’ve had cataract surgeries and it’s been so hot.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome back CoilyGirl! :hello: Good luck and be careful!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks creskol, I will !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always try that pinpointer only method and grab some shallow finds. It just wont be as productive as with a detector which obviously goes deeper. Good luck.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Someone should make a discrete metal detector that looks like those ankle bracelets the bad girls have to wear... Nice to see a familiar face. Hope you're doing well.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys hi! Not a real productive afternoon but I did manage to dig several ollld nails, three nipple protectors, a little iron buckle, but I know there is much more. I’m seriously tempted to go back with my detector. I have searched the history of the area but there is no mention of a house being there but there is broken period pottery and glass everywhere. I wonder if someone dug up a privy and filled all around the trees with that material. Sure is a stumper.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I may be on a pretty decent site after all. Two flat buttons were pretty much just on the surface of the dirt underneath the trees among all the broken pottery and glass. Neither one has any distinguishable marks on the front of the buttons but one has an odd looking bird and several stars on the back so I’ll just post the backs.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565307732.060938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565307771.317099.jpg

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, cool surface finds on the flat buttons. GL out there.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, and if adjustable sensitivity, then lower it and sniff-out your treasure...!
Dig everything!
Big project? Then use 1/4 inch screen, too....!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks friends. Unfortunately this is a place I cannot dig as it’s on city property but I had fun with my surface finds. Finally told my husband what I had been up to and he agreed,I can’t get caught there. Sigh.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys hi! Not a real productive afternoon but I did manage to dig several ollld nails, three nipple protectors, a little iron buckle, but I know there is much more. I’m seriously tempted to go back with my detector. I have searched the history of the area but there is no mention of a house being there but there is broken period pottery and glass everywhere. I wonder if someone dug up a privy and filled all around the trees with that material. Sure is a stumper.

You know, if there are no "No trespassing signs" or fences to keep you out I'd try it. The most they can say is get off my lawn.... Good luck!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right, and if this isn't a high-profile spot, in full view of the city, continued surface collecting (shouldn't be) a problem. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Allen Jackson

Apr 21, 2019
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see pics if you find anything good. And keep an eye out for bottles that are not broken and especially ones that don't have screw tops like today's bottle have

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread