Hello All

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Welcome-3.jpg
It's great to have you with us, Tpopcaz! Keep posting!

Attachments

• Welcome-3.jpg
    Welcome-3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 170

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet and enjoy.... we have a blast n a half here... dig alot, learn alot... we got it all right here.... enjoy

K

KirkTN

Hey there,

I've never hunted in LA however I do get down there 3 or 4 times a year with my job. I'm new here at tnet too and I am lovin' this site, everyone is nice and helpful.

catch you later, look forward to seeing your first finds.

KirkTN

OP
OP
T

tpopcaz

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
thanks to all for greeting me. I was wondering if someone could help me out and recomend some tools I ned to get started.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Hi tpopcaz, welcome to Tnet. Just pick up tools as you go along. For starters you'll need a nail apron with two pouches (one side for trash the other for treasures ;) ) A digging tool. The one I like best is one I picked up at Lowes. It's called a 7 in 1 Planter's Buddy. A long handled screwdriver or nice to have also. If your budget allows get a Pinpointer.

Hope this helps,
Pepper

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME TO TREASURENET!!!

;D ;D ;D

I'm gonna keep it simple. All you need is this:

1. Metal Detector

2. Something to dig with

Everything else which people will suggest here could very well make your head spin: Pinpointers, Lesches, Screwdrivers, Coin Probes, Nail Aprons, Finds Pouches, Sunray Probe, Extra Sniper Coil, 12 Inch Searchcoil, Google Earth, Old Maps, Battery Charger, Hip-Mount Apparatus...and the list goes on and on.

But here's the central fact: All you need are the two things I listed above. Everything else is preference. Some things will speed your recovery of items along, or help you find better sites, or save you a few bucks or some trouble in the long run...but it's all a matter of preference. You'll find your way, and you'll make your own choices as time goes by. Now get out there and get diggin!

-Buckleboy

P.S.--make your excavations as neat as possible so that you don't offend property owners or the parks maintenance crews if you'd like to start with yards or town parks.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy is right, don't refinance you car (yet ;D ) to get extras. All you need is your detector and a diggin tool. When I started I used a shovel that I found in my garage and an old screwdriver.

When your diggin your holes always recheck them with your detector cus you never know what might be in there that you didn't see (I have dug pull-tabs and found coins in the same hole). And be repectful to the areas that you hunt, you don't want anyone mad at you >:( ;D

There are some really good videos on youtube that cover using your detector and how to best recover your loot, I would check them out (look under "Metal Detector" )

Great to have you at TNet and we all look forward to your finds (make sure you post pictures, we all love pictures ;D :P

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Hey tpopcaz, its good to have you! Soo your just getting started? Do you have a detector yet?
I started with a bounty hunter and did pretty well with it. I also had alot of questions when I started and this is the best place to ask them!! Everybody here will be helpfull and anxious to here about your first finds.
Be warned though...if you dig up something and tell the story, everyone wants to see pictures. ;D
Feel free to ask ANYTHING you have concerns about. 8)

OP
OP
T

tpopcaz

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
thank you for all the help. What do yall thinks a good detector to start off with. Also me and my neighbor have about 12 acres of land together part of its open field part of its a cow pen. Everywhere else is canefields and woods. There is a old abandoned mill by my house any of these places good to search.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a cheap detector, a gardening trowel and allot of patience. Did that for a few months then decided this hobby was definitely for me so started upgrading and expanding my equipment.

Don't know what you are looking to spend on a detector but Walmart has some reasonable Bounty Hunter detectors for cheap and I hear very good things about the Garrett Ace line. Ebay or the For Sale Forum on this website are good places to look for used detectors. If using Ebay always check the sellers feedback.

As far as your questions about sites and finds in LA. Start looking in your local library for books or old newspapers about your area. These should give you some good places to start you hunting. Once you cut your teeth on your own property, move to parks then private property with permission of course. As far as good finds in your area there is treasure everywhere and that is illustrated everyday on our Today's Finds forum.

Happy hunting and keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tpopcaz said:
thank you for all the help. What do yall thinks a good detector to start off with. Also me and my neighbor have about 12 acres of land together part of its open field part of its a cow pen. Everywhere else is canefields and woods. There is a old abandoned mill by my house any of these places good to search.

It is all good but I would start with the old Mill if you have permission to hunt there. Any old foundations, wells, outhouses, the base of very large trees, etc. Look for plants that are not natural to the area and it may be an old home site or orchard. How long has the property you own been farmed. Old farm fields are always a good place to look.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
tpopcaz said:
The abandoned mill would be a good spot. Anywhere there was foot traffic or old structures would be good.
As far as a new detector? Your gonna get different opinions on that one. Some people are more partial to the brands they use. Through all the research that I have seen, I know the garett ace 250 is a good machine.
I have seen alot of good finds with that machine. I think it goes for around $250. If there is room to spend more then I would do some research and make a choice yourself. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
T

tpopcaz

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
When we moved here we were the only house around everything else was just fields. Someone that had lived here for about 25 years told me that they had buried 50 old metal wells under the old sugar mill so who knows what else they might have there.

Oh yea I forgot I live 15 minutes away from the mississippi river would all along the bank of that be a good spot.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tpopcaz said:
Oh yea I forgot I live 15 minutes away from the mississippi river would all along the bank of that be a good spot.

YES! Where there is water, there were people! Now get a decent machine, get permission from whomever owns the land, and get goin'. ;D

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

-Buckleboy

benc2

Nov 26, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, vibra probe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the ace 250....got it from dicks sporting goods website for around 200.00 on sale..this is my first detector...since joining tnet i have found a hunting buddy { jorge del norte } he uses a tesro....when we hunt together we will sometimes compare a undug signal and can both guess what it is just from what the detector is telling us...so whatever you get just take the time to learn what it is telling you and it will pay you back....sounds like you have a lot of great spot to hit...

Coin Shooter

Jan 12, 2008
Flowood Mississippi
With all the great advice that has been given, I don’t have much to add except MDing can be very addictive, so don’t say you were not warned. Also it’s nice to have another southern person on Tnet. I have not been here long, but already love it.

hank mcmauser

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
west treasure valley idaho
Detector(s) used
white's 6000 DI ser 3
Hello I'm also a complete newb here myself .I just got myself a whites 6000 di and waiting for the ground to thaw out.
If you could find the old roads or trails that folks used on there return up the mississippi river (natchez road or trail?though i think this was in mississppi)after floating down in there flatboats that would be an awesome place to use your detector.the travelers would usually have had money on the return trip. I'm sure some was lost along the way.
Hank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread