Hello everyone! My first post - and rant about metal detecting

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so finally joined treasurenet! Yay! Hello all! I've put this off because though I've owned a few metal detectors over the years, I've never had a chance to really use them. When I was 6 I had a machine and a park across the street from where I lived. I think that's what got me into it. After only a month, my detector was destroyed in the back of the family's 1967 chevy impala, my older sister had a blow out and smashed the trunk of the car where my detector was. I know my mother was upset because I asked about my detector and not how my sister was, though she looked fine. I don't remember the model. My parents never replaced it so it was out of my mind for a long time. Well, that was 38 years ago and since the past several years, I have been trying to get back into it. I have had a few different detectors but being a caregiver for elderly aunts who had alzheimers and well... I just never had the time to actually go out and do anything but a minute here and there in my own yard. I never found a thing! So, I ended up selling what detector I had and got a new / different one and when I had a chance would go into my yard and mess around. Again, never found anything. I've been through 3 or 4 different models... So then I got this 20 year old whites eagle spectrum and within minutes I dug a 64 quarter! I was stunned, right where I looked so many times with the other detectors I had. So the next year I ended up selling the detector, again, just no time to go out and look. Well, this year, the last aunt passed away so I found myself with a lot of spare time so I picked up another eagle spectrum and have been out as much as possible! So far this year dug about $100 in clad, a few mercury dimes, went to the beach, found a .925 mens ring that fits! lol...(two people asked me to find their diamond ring and diamond earing they lost that day!!!! (I guess they're right when they say the beach is replenished on a regular basis! Unfortunately the beach is 1-2 hours away. A friend asked me the other day to go to his brothers house to see if I could find anything, he was a skeptic about the possibility of anything existing that hasn't been dug up in this day and age.... (I'm trying to get him hooked) The house was pretty old in a 300 year old town here in MASS. I found loads of car parts in the back yard, so there must be a few coins there I didn't find (yet). They wouldn't let me search the front yard for fear of digging holes,(his brother's wife was a bit concerned) but I ended up going in the front yard quietly, dug the ground very carefully, and next to the walkway entry dug my first eagle button, I think from WW2! Nice condition! When I told them where I found it they were stunned! So was I! lol I gave it to my friends brother's wife. I was told next time, to go wherever I want! (YES!)

Soon after, a new detector arrived via ebay! I had purchased an analog 6000 DI PRO SL ,which I have yet to use until today, so this evening, at almost dusk, I went out into my own backyard where I have since found lots of wheaties and some nice relics with the spectrum, just to see if I could learn how to use this analog detector. This detector is totally different, very noisy, a different animal for sure, uncertainty set in, I was confused as heck trying to get the machine to balance manually, watch the needle, I really had no idea what I was doing and WHAM! Pinpointing was on the money. Only 3 inches down under the root of a 30 year old tree, I found a civil war or possibly earlier button! This was my first find with this 6000! It looks like the standard button but has two holes in the middle, possibly the back shank fell off and someone put two holes in it to sew onto something? (or did they come like this?) Folks, I have traveled and hour away, got two deer tick bites this year to boot!) to find something good and my best find yet, this button, was in my own back yard! NUTS! So... that's about it, I had to tell someone! I think I will offer my find to the local historical society, if they will have it, who has some real nice civil war uniforms in the memorial hall built on top of the first cemetery here in town which served as a meeting house for civil war veterans just a mile up the road in the downtown. If your ever here in Milford, MA. they are open on Thursdays.

So yeah, I have been trying to catch up on all those missed years...but this past month I have been somewhat bummed out a bit having been kicked out of the local parks, apparently they are all(6 of em) off limits. I am told they don't want folks diggin up the parks, fear of messing up the sprinkler systems, people not filling in holes. I did see holes that weren't filled in so I can understand where they are coming from. Folks, please fill in your holes or we're gonna have a hard time finding places to do this awesome past time.

If there is anyone in the area who wants someone to hang with and do some hunting, please drop me a message! I met artman60 at the beach up at Hampton a couple weeks ago. Great guy, was offering me all kinds of advise and said I need to join these forums. So, yeah, I had the fever, I was out there all night following the tractor around so I could see where I had been. When the guy was about finished, he stopped to warn me he hit two guys metal detecting over the years and that I need to be careful out there in the dark... then he informed me his machine was picking up all the rings and jewelry! (next time, I'll walk in front of him!)

Thanks for listening & good luck hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you're having a good time, and that you have something to look forward to, that's all you need man!

You know you could have posted some pics of your finds, it's a way for all of us diggin ' addicts to live the hunt online! Lol

Good luck in all your future hunts, and welcome to Tnet!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Massachusetts for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Glad you discovered the fun again. Just curious, why would you get a 6000di Pro when you already have a Spectrum? That's kinda moving backwards isn't it? Don't get me wrong, the 6000 is a fine machine and lots of people have found tons of goodies with it, but it's 30 year old technology whereas the Spectrum is only 20 year old technology.
If your parks are already off-limits, you may want to band together with others in your area to see if you can get the ordinance overturned. If you can get the local clubs and individuals to present a united front and can show the agency involved that you're responsible and not the ones doing the damage, you might just get them to change their mind.
I run across careless detectorists also. Very frustrating and they get upset when you bring the negligence to their attention. Mostly newbies that don't have a clue. I keep telling everyone, the best way not to leave a hole, is not to dig one. Learn to cut a three sided plug or a slit. Cutting a full plug just kills the grass and the mower or varmints will pull the plug out of the ground where it's seen by the maintenance crew.
Good luck in your future hunting!

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net i to live in mass also and look forward to your next post of finds good luck

OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, thanks everyone! Just got back in from out in the back yard messing with the 6000di pro sl.

What a load of nails and washers I found today! I feel like an environmentalist cleaning up the land like that! lol That's what I told the parks commish but I don't think he bought it. The other guy I spoke with seemed to be as confused as I was that I wasn't allowed to detect. I treated each dig respectfully with as little damage to the top soil/grass as possible. Just the sight of my 8x3 inch shovel must have scared him. I suggested they sell a metal detecting license and hand out a pamphlet on the guidelines of "proper metal detecting the parks". He looked at me like I was nuts. He said I should go in the woods. I did but I suffered 2 deer tick bites already this year and was looking for an area that was free of those types of bugs. If I could only find something worthy of the history of the town and get it in the papers, that might be what it takes. I checked out the maps in the town museum and those trees and walkways were in the same place as they were early 19th century. The thought of what might be there keeps me up at night! I should mention the pack of kids (ages 6 to 16) that followed me around the park on those days I was there. I had one kid digging and another was using the bullseye...they were excited to see what would come out of the ground. They dug a 1929 mercury right in front of their school which is in the park. The 10 year old? kid who retrieved it knew what it was. It was a positive experience.

The reasoning for my purchase of the 6000di pro sl, after owning a spectrum is varied. 1. I see the 6000 pro sl goes for more than the eagle spectrum on ebay. Why? 2. I read a lot of stories how the 6000 goes deep and they made the new lighter version for those who demanded it so.... must be a reason and I want to find out personally what the deal is. 3. And I figured I would learn the old fashioned way it was done, turing those knobs rather than pushing buttons. Maybe after some more use I will learn or understand better the settings on the digital machines?

Believe me, as soon as I get up the cash, I have a few new detectors on my wish list! The Excalliber, the Beach Hunter, and a few others. Eventually, I would like to get one top example from each company, even if it's an older machine, just to get as much experience as possible. And also have a better understanding of what I am reading when I hear the various detectors mentioned.

I will post a pic of the eagle button I found in my yard asap! Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 777 was my first find in the park. It is fairly heavy down about 9 or 10 inches. I was surprised to see the date 2004. Of course due the nature will always be remembered (and kept on my body at all times detecting! lol). The 1925 & 1929 mercury dimes were 15 feet apart in front of the Memorial School dug on two consecutive days each was about 4 or 5 inches. The ring came in the shallow water at about 4 inches at Narraganset Beach in Rhode Island, I think it says TEAM MEXICO, and rang up as a quarter. (all these were found with the Eagle Spectrum) and the Eagle button was found with the 6000 in my yard in only 2 or 3 inches! All the rain we had recently must have brought it up though it is very light. This was my very first find with the 6000. It was bent and I straightened it out. Note the two holes. They didn't come like this did they?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look up the rules regarding metal detecting myself rather than ask a bureaucrat for their opinion. And next time go at a better time and carry the bare minimum of tools to get the job done. Try to stay inconspicuous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread