looking to start metal detecting

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few nice starter machines in that range such as: White's Coinmaster, Garrett Ace 150, Teknetics Eurotek, and some more

Mojo618

Aug 15, 2012
Anderson County, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 DD search coil, Garrett pin pointer, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the soil in your area. I learned this the hard way. I live in SC and we have highly mineralized soil. ( Red Clay, Etc.) If you also have red clay I recommend a DD search coil. I just bought a Garrett 350. Good Luck!

HH!! :)

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most loaded question of all! Welcome to TNet. Best thing to do first is post what you have decided to hunt for...nuggets, buried caches, battlefield relics, coins, lost jewelery, etc, then figure out where you plan to hunt...fresh water, salt water or beach, woods, desert, ghost town, or public parks and schools, etc. Different targets and different locations and conditions can require much different detectors. (Myself, I would go for a new entry level detector with your budget. I wouldn't trust a used detector for 150, especially if I were new to the hobby I would want something I was sure was operating properly, but that's just me, someone else should chime in soon.

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! IF your looking for coins, or relics, are on land or on the dry part of the beach,(though I did find a silver ring last week in the wet sand at a salt water beach) I just got a back-up to my Eagle Spectrum on ebay for $230(included shipping) granted it's 20 years old but works like a champ. Was top of the line when new, and I thought I got it for a steal when I saw the condition it was in. (MINT). I also picked up a Whites 6000 di pro sl for $300 (included shipping and also in MINT shape), a different animal but expect a lot of good times ahead, this is also an older machine. I got the back-up Eagle Spectrum just in case a friend wants to do some detecting. (hint)

I would wait and raise just a little more money because if you're gonna spend the time out there looking.....I really think it would be worth it in the end. I did have a CLASSIC 3 (in that $150 price range) that worked well but I do like having a read out, at least to get an idea of what I'm about to dig. All are turn on and go machines though may be considered heavy by today's standards except for the Classic 3 SL. But I always suggest an Eagle Spectrum to my friends. Even a fella I met at the beach who had a new $1500 saltwater machine, threw a gold ring in a hole in the wet sand to test the spectrum and the spectrum rang loud and clear. He didn't seem surprised and said he missed his! He seemed relieved when he retrieved the ring. (that's how tough metal detecting the beach on wet sand can be! It's no walk in the park.) Though the spectrum is not waterproof! (BE CAREFUL!) But....IF you don't start finding stuff immediately with the spectrum, return it. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$150 is a little tight but you could do it. Not sure what you might find used in that range, but for a few dollars more you could get something brand new.

A lot of people trying to break into the hobby lusting over the Garrett AT pro, but when they realize they just don't have the cash ($600) they end up settling for an Ace 150, 250, or 350. Some people swear by them, but I would recommend you look at everything. Kellyco has a great site, and there's tons of info on what's on the market right now. Lots of specs and there's a cool comparison chart that let's you compare detectors side by side, on everything from price to frequency to search modes. Check them out.

As for specific detectors, I'll recommend the Tesoro Compadre and the Fisher F2, which is my current favorite out of all the "entry level" detectors. The Compadre is like $169 (I think) and the F2 is like $199. Kellyco and Bigboyhobbies.com both have a package deal on the F2 that includes 2 search coils and a pin pointer for about $215- it's a great value.

Don't forget you will need some small digging tools. If you have not looked at pin pointers you should do that- they are key in finding your target faster and saving you A LOT OF TIME! Tons of info and videos on YouTube! Get busy doing your research!!!! Lol

OP
OP
U

ulcrev

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2013
I was in Radio Shack to get something else and noticed they had metal detectors. Are those any good or are they junk?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Radio Shack to get something else and noticed they had metal detectors. Are those any good or are they junk?

Junk.... not to sound like a jerk but u get what u pay for. I once bought a cheapo bounty hunter, got so annoyed eith it I gave up on the hobby. Few years later borrowed a buddys higher end one and have been hooked since.

tnTesoro

Jun 24, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Compadre is the best 150 bucks I've ever spent. Found lots of clad, a few silver and old coins and, best of all, $160 in gold jewelry in my first 3 months. You can't beat it for the price.

OP
OP
U

ulcrev

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2013
Does any one have a good used detector they might be willing to sell me. I am really on a budget here.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are interested in this great hobby - $150.00 dollar detector is the about the most basic, lowest performer out there. I bought the Garretts ACE 150 for my kids and they find mostly newer coins that are right on top of the ground or buried just under the surface. You could start with the lower end detectors to see if this hobby is really for you. I know plenty of people who thought this would be a great hobby, then when they didn't find treasure right away - they got bored and quit. Search craiglist etc........you might get lucky and find a mid range detector for cheap.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

OP
OP
U

ulcrev

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2013
I have narrowed it down to a few beginners models from Bounty Hunter. I seem to like those better than Garrett ones. Would Bounty Hunter brand be a good place to start?

Edward1976

Jul 9, 2013
USA for now.
Detector(s) used
DFX300, XLT, Laser
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, no Bounty Hunter! No. Don't. Look on craigslist and see what they have in your price range and get back to us with the results.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy what your gut feels, no matter what you buy you will wonder what the others do and how good they are for what your doing. My best advice is call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and he will tell you about all of them and he won't try to push one over the other but he will tell you what he thinks is best

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a bounty hunter pioneer 202, and it is not junk. It is a easy turn on and go machine that works about everywhere. Do I dig 5 feet down on a soda can with, no it was designed for actual hunt sin the parks and such. That being said, this is a great hobby. The science behind the detectors is just as fun to learn as the hobby itself. The two most important things here is to have permission, and fill your holes. Here is a suggestion, hobby lobby has a coupon you can print out and get a entry level detector for under a hundred dollars. Then you can pick up a pin pointer for about $17.00 dollars at harbor freight. Then a small garden trowel for about $10.00 dollars at Home Depot. I like the 12" green handled Ames brand. This will get you started. The entry level detector are preset, you hear a beep, you dig for the most part. Your going to dig a lot of unwanted targets with this machine. You also going to want to know where to dig, what is legal here for me to dig, may not be legal for you there. A mid level machine is going to have dicrimination, and start at $400.00 dollars. A high end machine will go deep, and have a learning curve that will take time to learn. The high end machines can start at $700.00 dollars and some cost several thousands of dollars. Last I would like to add, what works on the water most likely wont work on dry land. You need a detector for what you hunt. I would recommend a T2 for land. Good Luck.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I will agree there's better stuff on the market, Bounty Hunter is not exactly what I would call JUNK.

They do work, my 10 year old has a First Texas Pilot and I've been impressed with. It's marketed as a youth detector but he finds a lot of stuff with it, and the target ID is pretty dang accurate albeit somewhat vague. That thing is a dime finding machine! And the depth is not terrible for only being a 7.25 inch coil. For $125 it's really ok!?!?

There's better stuff out there, sure,but a lot of people on this site turn their nose up at bounty hunter... When you consider the price, it's a decent value for the dollar.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also like the Technetics Eurotech model.

I've heard the tech inside them is comparable to the F2- but I'm not certain on that. Teknetics makes an excellent MD, going by what I've read and watching vids on YouTube- of course everything may seem different when you got it in your hands.

Is there an MD shop any place close to you? You could check some of them out in person?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see a pin point feature on the Eurotek!!! Yikes!!! It's 2013 that should be standard equipment by now!

Probably not a bad detector, but if you've ever used one that had pin pointing, it would be hard to go back... It would for me anyway!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread