Hello everyone. New Sovereign XS-2 Pro owner here.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 838
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 743

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the stock coil that was shipped with the Sov. The newer Sov GT comes with a 10" DD coil and other coils are available from Minelab and Sunray and I believe from Coil tec. The Sov mounted on the shaft like yours is heavy and is why I carry my Sov GT in a bag around my neck. Minelab sells the hipmount bag an it makes all the difference.

Save your pennies for a Sunray S-1 inline probe as it make it even better.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That coinsearch coil is the coil that came with the Sovereign's way back they are a double DD coil............. and a very good coil ................... I know that most that have that coil don't sell them but keep them....... AND here is the Soverign wiggle.

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,171
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,018
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I have a hipmount bad and it sves my shoulder that is for sure. As for the Sovereign wiggle, ill need to practice that one. Im thining about a sunray intruder 12 inch. Is that a good coil?

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
sunray probe should be your 1st priority, coinsearch coil is an excellent coil (careful though,it isn't waterproof)

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
:hello: just lift a bit coil cable from coil. I see you have nice machine! good luck Stasys

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a great machine!! on the second time out, I found a gold ring with it. It hits hard on the gold!!

Cladjunkie

Nov 16, 2010
If your not going to be using that coil around water it's was one of best. If after you buy a straight shaft and hip mount the control box you may like the way it feels. I have my X2 pro set as a hip mount along with the straight shaft and I'm using the Sun Ray Intruder S-8 coil and can tell you I love it.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cladjunkie said:
If your not going to be using that coil around water it's was one of best. If after you buy a straight shaft and hip mount the control box you may like the way it feels. I have my X2 pro set as a hip mount along with the straight shaft and I'm using the Sun Ray Intruder S-8 coil and can tell you I love it.
I have the hip bag and that saves my shoulder. That straight shaft sounds like something I may get later on. As for using the coil near water, i do but I have siliconed it. hopefully that will keep it dry. I dont submerge the coil either though.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
I think the smaller 8 inch Coinsearch coil is a great coil for the beginner to learn the wiggle.Never liked the solid white Sunray 12 inch coil.My favorite coil is the BBS or Tornado 800 coil both separate well and great depth.Good luck with the Sovereign.HH Ron

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
the sovereign XS2 pro is a nice machine and a deeep seeker. I traded a whites PRL-1($100) & $200 to a tesoro dealer... he told me the guy used it once & put it in the closet. it was in great shape and coming from a whites classic 3 I was stoked! just remember if you use the meter to re-calibrate from time to time... oh, just to add... it came with the BBS 1000 coil, chargeable batt, charger, AA batt pack, hipmount bag and the guy threw in a treasure wise stainless digger.

I didn't know much then, but i think i got a good deal

McDean

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
As per the weight issue, if not using hipmount... try re-wrapping the coil wire closer to the control box.... that's a lot of weight bunched at the end of the stem... just two cents HH

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older Sovereigns hold their own with the modern Sovereigns. And since Minelab raised the price on the GT all the used Sovereigns took a jump in price also. The older White coils are not waterproof so be careful with that. In my opinion the two best coils for the Sovereign are the two stock Tornado coils. The S-12 will cover more ground than the 10" Tornado, but when I use it at the beach I have to keep the sensitivity low or it falses more. You do need to mount that detector on a belt or on your chest. I chest mount my Elite and I hunt in two ft surf easy. I can't remember if you said you beach hunt or not, but if you do you have a great detector. Keep on the look out for Shaun's Amp and then you can slap a turbo on that bad boy.

McDean

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
What is this amp you speak of goodmore? Is it like a signal booster? More depth, etc?
Thanks in advance... HH

McDean

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Dang I want one! 3 to 4 extra inches on an already deeep machine...

How's that wiggle goin for ya usmc? It gets better over time LOL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodmore said:
http://detectoramplifiers.com/Home_Page.php

No longer made and hard to find. Good for beach hunting when the sand is in.

I Have Questions & Concerns on this one LOL,

#1 Price ?

they say

With the never ending quest to detect deeper, the only options were try a larger coil or spend thousands on the latest and greatest new detector.

so are they Priced at the cost of a larger coil ,
or the latest and greatest new detector ? :icon_scratch:

Seriously Though, I'm already Connected to
the detector, by my Headphones (Detector to Head)
and Swingy thingy (Detector to Chest),

Now I'd need a 3rd. Wire running (Detector to my Belt ? )

Unless they priced them at a reasonably Shocking $19.95

I'm afraid that design needs a major overhaul.

probably better to buy a 2nd. sovereign
& See if somone can Peak one out
like we used to do with CB Radios.

McDean

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Aahhh... I have a sov that's not getting much use, is there any accomplished electricians/mad scientists willing to overhaul it as a prototype? Of course I get it back (no charge of course) once its capable of extreeeme depths and x-ray vision...

I would be willing to TeAr into it myself if I had a detailed explanation/schematic of what needed done mwahahaha! :)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to lighten up a Sovereign, try the Coiltek Joey on it. No need to hip mount it for me now unless I change coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread