Looking for a coil

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I dug a old home site that has produced a few good items but I know theres more. The problem is nails. I dug 3 nails out of a hold before I found a small piece of harmonica. So I need a coil for super trashy areas. I was thinking about the Sun Ray X-5. Does any one have any experience with this coil? I am sure I am going to lose some, but hows the depth? Or a suggestions on a better coil than the X-5. Thanks for the help.
ynpto804

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which detector are you using as there might be a better coil for that brand and model?

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a X-5,and it is a good coil with more depth than you would expect from a five incher,however I rarely use it,I also have an X-8 and really like it,I use it quite often out in the fields,I have the inserts for it which really helps out with the snags,if I had to choose I would go with the X-8,good seperation and nice depth....Soup

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab 8 you can get it for 60$, no need to look expensive options before you dont have experience in using. buy cheap or borrow, rent any small coil and try and you will learn what to expect. good luck Stasys

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Both the 8 and 5 inch coils have their place. Mach I hunts a lot with the 5 and I've see him go close to 8 inches on a cent. I spend about half the time I hunt using an 8 inch because of the target separation and depth we get out of them. We don't miss many targets because of depth issues compaired to the Stock Pro Coil.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedfordbob said:
Both the 8 and 5 inch coils have their place. Mach I hunts a lot with the 5 and I've see him go close to 8 inches on a cent. I spend about half the time I hunt using an 8 inch because of the target separation and depth we get out of them. We don't miss many targets because of depth issues compaired to the Stock Pro Coil.

Yep.... get one... you will like it! I have the X5, a Minelab 8", a Minelab Pro Coil, and a 15" WOT....

I tested one iron infested site, and found that on a wheatie at 6" I would get a complete null with the Pro Coil, an iffy signal with the 8", but the signal was clear as could be with the X5... this was repeated a few minutes later with a flat button.

Time each coil is on my Etrac if that tells you anything:

X5 - 35%
Minelab 8" - 5%
Pro Coil - 35%
WOT - 20%

They are expensive, but worth it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread