Hello from TX! Got a Tifffany vase

BuddyC

May 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody, this looks like an awesome site and very active so I know it's the best. I am helping a family friend who has moved into assisted living clear her home out and throw an estate sale. She needs all the money she can get to pay her expenses so she didn't want to pay the "professional" estate sale companies their 50% and end up with very little. I am doing this all by myself and am lost on so many items.

The most valuable thing she seems to have is this blue Tiffany vase. It has what looks like "T1063" but the T could just be scratches and then "5957 L" followed by L.C. Tiffany Favrile. Doing a little research, it seems that this could be what is called a compound signature but I am not sure. Also, my main concern is judging the condition. It looks like there is a scratch on it but the scratch seems to be going in the same sweeping motion as the rest of the visible swirl of blue. There is also a dark grayish(sort of like the color of pencil lead rubbed on paper) blemish-looking spot which can be seen in the far upper right of the pic with the so-called scratch and in a separate pic. Are both these natural imperfections by the glass maker or defects caused later over the years? Thanks do much folks.

Attachments

• DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC01067.JPG
    DSC01067.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01070.JPG
    DSC01070.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 82

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet. It looks like a very nice piece. It also looks like it doesn't belong in an estate sale. Look up some reputable fine art auction houses in your area and list with one of them. Also, do not list this on ebay. However, before you list with a particular house, check out their auction results and compare to find the best place. You will pay around a 20% commision, but you will get, by far, the best price for the vase.

OP
OP
B

BuddyC

May 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input capt-zero. I hadn't considered an auction house for selling it. I had considered Ebay as an option, what reasons make it not advisable? Are those defects or original to the piece?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddyc,

I can't tell from the photos whether the defects are original or later damage. Concerning ebay, generally for pieces that have real value, I haven't seen the kind of dollar response one normally sees from a fine arts auction house. I haven't watched ebay auctions for vintage Tiffany vases, but for other items I've been suprised at the lack of interest and response truly rare pieces obtain. I am neither an expert in fine art nor ebay auctions, but I do collect art. I have picked many pieces on ebay that I could not have afforded otherwise. I have used an auction house here where I live and generally been happy with the result. A caveat though, like any other buisiness, do your homework.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, nothing left the Tiffany Studios with defects so they were either done later or maybe you have a fake Tiffany. If it is real it will sell, even at auction, from between $2000-$3500. There are a great many Tiffany vases out there. But an auction house is a good bet because they can verify its authenticity and then sell it for you. They will get a percentage, but you will still make money. I was partners in an antique store for years(part time fun), have sold several Tiffany items and have seen many, many fakes...

OP
OP
B

BuddyC

May 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Knowing this family, I can't imagine it is a fake. That spot looks unusual, but I can clearly see one of the normal streaks of blue tailing off into that spot so maybe it was done by the artist. I'll may have to hunt down someone locally with knowledge to verify. I will definitely look into an auction house in Dallas.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a good dealer in New York that could help and his commissions aren't 20%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread