Hello(new member)

John A. Morrow

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia/South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I'm retired military(27 years paratroops & SF)& a retired history teacher.
I've been researching Revolutionary War & Confederate sites for around 50 years in both Georgia and South Carolina.
Though not a digger myself many who are have brought their various finds to me for identification
over many years.
Recently a digger found a rare Revolutionbary War British cartridge box belt plate (19th.Regt.)which was found outside Charleston,S.C.
It will be pictured in Don Troiani's forth-coming book on Revolutionary War relics.
I'd very much like to communicate with anyone concerning relic types found in a particular area,especially in regards South Carolina.
The Revolutionary armies moved across S.C. several times during the war and knowing where something was found helps identify just when,or which campaign,the relic might be associated.
As I mentioned;I'm strictly a researcher.
Any such recovery & site information will certainly be treated by me as confidential.
Good luck hunting!:icon_thumleft:
John A. Morrow

buck57

Greenie
Jul 16, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from mid Missouri. Glad to have you on the forum for a wealth of knowledge. I can see would come in handy on this forum.
I'm also retired military (20 yrs USAF, Civil Eng)
I have two different civil war bullets found in two different states I wandered if you could identify if I send you a pic?
Also, I am working an old closed down Military school right now called Kemper. This school first open their doors in 1869 and closed down several years ago. I have found a lot of school medallions and some buttons, but from what previous employess of the scholl has told me, not too old. Two weeks ago I did find a 1736-1796 Chinese coin there.
So, glad to have you on board John.....

OP
OP
J

John A. Morrow

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia/South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from mid Missouri. Glad to have you on the forum for a wealth of knowledge. I can see would come in handy on this forum.
I'm also retired military (20 yrs USAF, Civil Eng)
I have two different civil war bullets found in two different states I wandered if you could identify if I send you a pic?
Also, I am working an old closed down Military school right now called Kemper. This school first open their doors in 1869 and closed down several years ago. I have found a lot of school medallions and some buttons, but from what previous employess of the scholl has told me, not too old. Two weeks ago I did find a 1736-1796 Chinese coin there.
So, glad to have you on board John.....

Hello Buck57,
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll be glad to see the minnies you found but am sure others are much more qualified to i.d. them.
About the only ammunition types I really feel comfortable with are .45 Whitworths.
Back in 1989 I wrote a book about Confederate snipers titled The Confederate Whitworth Sharpshooters.
I was also fortunate to know a couple of pioneers on the subject of 1861-65 ammunition whose books remain the "Bullet Bibles",Reed McKee and Stan Phillips(both long deceased).
Your searching the old Kemper campus is very interesting.Many years ago I also attended military schools;Georgia Military Academy and Camden (S.C.)Academy.To this day I search e-bay looking for items from these schools so you might just find some Kemper grads who would find your items of great interest.
Thanks.
John A.Morrow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread