deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using an old metal detector for a few months that was on loan from a friend. Its a real POS $50 deal but has been fun and Ive found some good stuff. Most of all its gotten me hooked on this and now Im ready to buy my own detector.
Ive been researching and looking at detectors in my price range. (around 180-250 bucks)

Right now Im looking at the Garrett Ace 250 and the Whites Prizm 2 and 3.
Are these bad ways to go and are there others in my price range that I have overlooked that could be better?
Mostly Im into CW relic hunting, looking in parks and home sites for coins and anything interesting.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Upvote 0

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I began with a Bounty Hunter years ago but personally, I'd recommend a Garrett Ace 250. I'd tell you about it but there is more than enough info floating around about it for you!

I have heard that the Tesoro Silver Umax is a great, inexpensive, deep-seeking detector for a very low price. A lot of people here have that one and love it! I for one wouldn't pass one up if I saw one for sale, used somewhere.

The White's detectors are very good also. I use a White's M6 almost exclusively and I LOVE it!

In reality, all detectors are good, it really depends on where you hunt and what you'll be hunting for. Good luck buddy!

Joe

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
I began with a Bounty Hunter years ago but personally, I'd recommend a Garrett Ace 250. I'd tell you about it but there is more than enough info floating around about it for you!

I have heard that the Tesoro Silver Umax is a great, inexpensive, deep-seeking detector for a very low price. A lot of people here have that one and love it! I for one wouldn't pass one up if I saw one for sale, used somewhere.

The White's detectors are very good also. I use a White's M6 almost exclusively and I LOVE it!

In reality, all detectors are good, it really depends on where you hunt and what you'll be hunting for. Good luck buddy!

Joe

I just read a lot of great reviews on the Tesoro Silver Umax. It seems like a good value detector from all Ive read.
The only thing I dont like is the lack of info it gives since it doesnt have a screen at all. That's the only thing that's got me a little against it but I may go for it anyway.
Thanks for the information Joe.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Deathhare,

You'll come to find later, once you've been detecting for awhile, that it isn't what you can see but what you can hear, that determines your actions or lack of. The Ace 250 is great in regards to its visual display capabilities. It will show you what you want to know. However, it has minimal tones and so it lacks in that department. Even though I like the Ace 250, I'd probably get a Umax if I were to start over again. It goes deeper than the Ace and is probably more accurate. Sometimes simpler is better.

But I totally understand what you mean about wanting to "see" what the detector is telling you. That's precisely why I chose the Ace in the first place. It is a great machine and I doubt you will be disappointed. Find out from Tesoro users about the Umax, build a basis for your decision, and remember, no matter what detector you choose, you'll probably buy another one later down the road, as I'm sure you've already got the bug! Like me. Yeah, it's bad.

Good luck...

Joe

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again.
Ill do some looking for any threads on the Tesoro. :icon_study:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on what you want from your detector. If you want to only dig what the screen shows is a dime for example, you'll enjoy the hobby. However the screens only tell you what it thinks is down there so you'll also pass up many targets that could be worth more.

The Silver Umax, Cibola, and Vaquero are all great detectors that offer more depth, versitility, and fun in my book. Plus they are very light weight and have the Lifetime Warrany in case you ever need it.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
go with what you feel fits you. if an ace feels good go for it, or a whites or tesoro.
in the end it still comes down to learning what your MD is telling you.
and like Sandman said, it only tells you what it thinks it is. Dig everything until you feel that whats on the screen is under your coil, or do like most of us do, DIG EVERYTHING

JMO Sniffer

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.
I made the decision to buy the Tesoro. :thumbsup:
Im really glad I found this forum as before I was feeling weird about the other detectors I was considering.
At this point I feel like I made the right choice. Hopefully I'll still think so after I hunt for awhile with it.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Death,

The Tesoro Compadre is their least expensive offering.
It is a very capable machine, of high quality, and enjoys the same lifetime warranty.

It is limited in that it does not have an interchangeable coil, which is not necessarily a problem.

They are very hot on small gold!

Best
rmptr

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
deathhare the mentioned machines should work but i would check with some one in your area, i understand Georgia has some tuff soil conditions, and you may need a machine with ground balance like a xt-50 or f-5 or even a used idx that can be manually adjusted, under the stickers

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
:D You know that took alot of time to paint all that so well :wink: Minelab is good,but finding treasure is all about location .If your in the right spot,you may not even need a detector ........

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro Silver uMax came today! Woot!...

Everything looks good and I can't wait to get it out and start digging. Ive been doing a lot of research while waiting on this thing so I have some (hopefully) great sites to hit in the next few weeks. Also its supposed to be around 60 degrees all week. (sorry northern guys :) )
Looking forward to posting some finds soon.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. :icon_sunny:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
deathhare,

Congratulations! Isn't it cool to have a new detector? Use it for awhile and post your review. I'm telling you, I wouldn't mind owning one of those Umax's if I found one floating around somewhere, used.

Be patient and don't get discouraged if you don't find anything worthwhile at first. Some people find silver coins their first time out. It took me a few years!

Good hunting!

Joe

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it out for awhile today.
Unfortunately the detector is having issues.
Not sure what's wrong with it but it definitely can't be ok.
It's on constant chatter no matter what I do with it or what the sensitivity or discrim knobs are set to. If i shut it off for a minute and turn it back on that fixes it sometimes but always returns to chatter after a few minutes.
If its anywhere near the earth on disc it is almost constantly calling a target or chattering even with the discrim all the way up and the sensitivity all the way down.
On all metal it seems to shut up and only call out metal.

Trying to get someone at Tesoro to call me back. :( :(

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Do you have power lines where you tried it?
Did you air test it first?
Try and put a new battery in it.
Make sure the coil cable is connected good.
Maybe you had toggle in all metal..
Hope this helps....
Bill

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill...funny you say that.
I put a different battery in and that seems to have fixed it. It makes no sense to me as both batteries are new. One is a Duracell that fixed it and the "bad" battery was a Panasonic. I dont understand why that happened but whatever the case I am happy to be on my way.
I went a few blocks down to an old apartment bldg theyre about the tear down and came across a little pocket spill in its front yard. All clad...4 pennies, 1 quarter and a one dime. Nothing special but a great feeling on the first time out to get some coins, re-check the hole and continue to get hits till all coins were up. Pretty cool for the short 15 minutes of sweeping around.
Will definitely hit that place again as its a 1930s building. :wink:

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Its funny also - that in the paper work with your new detector
it says not to use cheap batteries and they (Tesoro) give you
a cheap battery...
Use good batteries....
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread