Sunray probe

jfhall

Dec 28, 2008
Hi all
Just a question about the Sun ray Probe ....I'm getting a Fisher F70 and was considering the sun ray probe rather then then a hand held device. My only concern is the thickness of the probe... isn't it more of an advantage to pin point more accurately with a thinner tip? Has anyone tried one of these compared to a garrett's pro pointer? Is there any cons other then the price on the Sun ray product? Thanks ! jim

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Sunray S-1 inline probe on my Sov GT and won't go back to an hand held either. The probe is only an inch across, how much smaller do you want it?

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
The thickness won't even matter once you see how well the Sunray works. Trust me. If you don't trust me, find someone who has one and try it out. I'll never go detecting with a battery-powered pinpointer again if I can help it.

Also, check out the You-Tube videos of the Sunrays in use, that should help too.

Joe

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Only has one down side I know of and it's the added weight on long hunts. Most of the weight is in the probe and my solution was to just stick it in my pocket on long hunts. Like the others, I will never go back.

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I got a pistol probe which seems to be very accurate. Is one of the reasons everyone loves the Sunray because it is attached to the shaft and you don't have to take your headphones off to hear your hand held pin pointer????

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snowmanfromtexas said:
I have a sunray probe on my etrac. It does well and would not want to go back my old hand held pinpointer. SMAN...

I agree with snowman. I bought my SE without the probe and used a hand-held for about 2 months. Boy was I glad to have a Sunray Probe back on my new machine.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a SunRay on my Minelab, I used to forget my White's at home or forget it in the truck. But, with the SunRay, " I never leave home without it!"... ;D........NGE

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I still use both. My hand held is a real cheapie, but it's extremely sensitive and good for pinpointing tiny objects. It's small diameter makes it easy to push into loose, just dug dirt without packing it down. Maybe I haven't mastered the Sunray yet, but I find it hard to really nail down small targets with it.

If I'm on a target and can't seem to nail it with the Sunray, the handheld comes out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread