Help, anyone, please County Kerry area Ireland.

Krystal_

Greenie
Jun 3, 2016
Kerry, Ireland
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I am new to this site.
I was referred here from a facebook page.

What I was wondering is this, My boyfriend had lost his promise ring while he was swimming. I know there are many sites to go to in order to find lost ring services, my problem is that I live on this island called Ireland. Being more specific I live in County Kerry area.

I'm sure you understand the value of a ring given to your significant other, and his heart is just broken. He jumped off a well known pier and it had slipped off when he surfaced. It was during low tide, and so you can touch the bottom, he's not a very good swimmer, and my eye sight is horrendous without my glasses. I tried looking, but to no avail.

My Question is this: Is there anyone who knows ANYBODY here? Is there ANYONE here who can be of help??? I know we need an underwater metal detector, but we need to find one, and possibly scuba gear. Reason I say scuba is because where he lost it, there is a lot of seaweed, so we may have to sort through it. Please I'm begging you. We lost it on this Tuesday. No bad weather, or rough seas, but I know it's a matter of time. I'd like to find someone who may have connections. Please, anyone, help.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You might want to float this on forums where British hunters read/post. As some of them no doubt either hunt Ireland, or know friends who hunt there. And put in your title "need ring found in Ireland" (or something with the word "Ireland" in there). So that persons with knowledge of that area are more likely to click on your post.

Good luck ! If it was lost down OUT BEYOND the lowest tide mark , then that's going to be a difficult hunt. And if it's in the normal surf ocean-facing beaches, then be aware that sand changes daily . It is always in motion, adding or subtracting, with the currents, swells, etc...

Get the time of day the loss occurred, so you can consult the tide charts to see if possibly, that zone is accessible at a super minus tide time ?? Adding in other factors like how deep the water where he was swimming was (could he touch bottom? How tall is he ? etc...)

OP
OP
K

Krystal_

Greenie
Jun 3, 2016
Kerry, Ireland
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to float this on forums where British hunters read/post. As some of them no doubt either hunt Ireland, or know friends who hunt there. And put in your title "need ring found in Ireland" (or something with the word "Ireland" in there). So that persons with knowledge of that area are more likely to click on your post.

Good luck ! If it was lost down OUT BEYOND the lowest tide mark , then that's going to be a difficult hunt. And if it's in the normal surf ocean-facing beaches, then be aware that sand changes daily . It is always in motion, adding or subtracting, with the currents, swells, etc...

Get the time of day the loss occurred, so you can consult the tide charts to see if possibly, that zone is accessible at a super minus tide time ?? Adding in other factors like how deep the water where he was swimming was (could he touch bottom? How tall is he ? etc...)

Where would I find that forum then? I'm sorry I'm having a difficult time navigating the site just joined this morning. And no, not out and beyond, thank goodness, and no it's not a beach really, a small sandy area, but once you get in the water, it gets very heavily vegetated.

OP
OP
K

Krystal_

Greenie
Jun 3, 2016
Kerry, Ireland
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it isn't thank you!!! I have sent them a request, do you know how quickly they reply? I do know time is of the essence when it comes to finding a lost ring. Again, thank you so much!!!I first took it onto facebook since almost everyone uses it, and I had found the ring finders. And they are the ones who sent me here :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
How large is the area that the ring might have been lost in? While trying to find someone with a waterproof detector willing to help out, you could also try taking some aluminum window screen and sifting the bottom. Maybe you could snatch the ring in the screen basket. Shouldn't be too difficult to construct a hoop or square frame and add a handle. Might even add a short rope for pulling the scoop through the sand.

...Just a thought.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it isn't thank you!!! I have sent them a request, do you know how quickly they reply? I do know time is of the essence when it comes to finding a lost ring. Again, thank you so much!!!I first took it onto facebook since almost everyone uses it, and I had found the ring finders. And they are the ones who sent me here :)

No idea, that was what came up frist when I googled "metal detecting County Kerry Ireland"

OP
OP
K

Krystal_

Greenie
Jun 3, 2016
Kerry, Ireland
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Airscapes : The ring finders it what popped up for me, not sure why though.

kcm : It's not that large, he literally jumped in and got out. And thanks for the idea!!!! I will mention it to him!! He can't stay underwater or go to touch the bottom, but I will definitely try that out!!! Thank you for that wonderful idea!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's gotta be some hunters in Ireland that'd like to help. Afterall we md'rs love any excuse to hunt. And to solve a "who-dunnit-mystery" haha

Perhaps if you found the dealers (whites, garrett, minelab, fisher, etc...) they could tell you who some local hobbyists are in that region.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of The Ring Finders and naturally a bit biased, but, all the members I've hunted with are stand up guys (and ladies), so I highly recommend you contact a member near you. We don't have a member in Ireland at the moment, but, there are 11 members in the United Kingdom. I'd contact them all and see if they are willing to travel there or know someone in Ireland that would be willing to help you out. Another option would be to contact a local detecting club and ask for their help. Good Luck!

OP
OP
K

Krystal_

Greenie
Jun 3, 2016
Kerry, Ireland
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a member of The Ring Finders and naturally a bit biased, but, all the members I've hunted with are stand up guys (and ladies), so I highly recommend you contact a member near you. We don't have a member in Ireland at the moment, but, there are 11 members in the United Kingdom. I'd contact them all and see if they are willing to travel there or know someone in Ireland that would be willing to help you out. Another option would be to contact a local detecting club and ask for their help. Good Luck!
Yea I tried contacting Ronnie Byrne, and to no avail. Called him up and he said he just sells them. And wow really??? I'd be so happy to hear from them, or to get into contact to see if we can work something out. In regards to paying for a portion of their flight, we could maybe even offer housing for a few days since we live in a 3 bedroom apartment, and they can explore the beach just outside our place, like a mini vacation.... I know I'm getting my hope up too high, but it means the world to us. Because not only is it a promise ring, but it's proof that two worlds can come together as one. I was born in the states, quiet, shy and reserved. He loves the party life, loud, and has numerous friends. (I only have 2 :/ ) And so we like to share our story because everyone tells us it sounds like a fairy-tale. Only it's real. And I have contacted the metal detecting Kerry, but I do not have a response from them. (it took two days from the last fb page I seen, and they directed me here)

Tom :
Yes I have been trying to contact local fisherman as well to see if they know anybody, so far nothing, and so that's when I turned to online help the next day. Even go to people who just like to fish for fun, even a little hobby shop. But it's a very small town. (500 people I'm told) and so I'm hoping someone has to know SOMEONE.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edited your Title to get the Right attention .

Good Luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread