ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meriwether-Harris County Caches

The Civil War caused many caches of money and valuables to be hidden, how many still exist today is unknown. Two of the more famous buried caches of the Meriwether-Harris county area, involved plantations. Are they true stories or are they myths? The first involves a chest containing nearly $200,000 in gold and silver coins, buried somewhere in the area of Luthersville. The second cache (gold and silver) is supposed to be located south of Warm Springs. Further info on this one mentions the Layfield Plantation near the top of Pine Mountain, which then changes the county to Harris County, Georgia.

I'll be in pine mountain Sunday and Monday.

I just found this and am trying to knock out some research. I'm falling short on leads and shorter on time.
If any of you archive buffs would be kind enough to lend your abilities, I would be much obliged. If I actually found one, I would definitely reciprocate the generosity.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help here from Connecticut. Best of luck to you. Why just 2 days? When research for sunken and or buried treasures, it should be in all our minds, was the treasure recovered.

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help here from Connecticut. Best of luck to you. Why just 2 days? When research for sunken and or buried treasures, it should be in all our minds, was the treasure recovered.

I am going there on vacation. [emoji38]

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have a clue. We have our own caches up here in Idaho from various stage coach robberies. It all sounds so tempting, until I calculated that "just south of Idaho city" encompasses approximately 2500 Square miles. Even with a 15" coil, I could spend 3 lifetimes searching and never find it. There's a reason it ain't been found!

I figure In the two days I'll be up there, I'll have about 6 hours of hunting time. With a 5 foot sweep at a speed of approx .5 mph, I could cover 158,000 sq ft which is slightly more than 0.05 sq miles. In an area of 2,500 sq miles, my chances of stumbling on the treasure are %0.002 (1 in 50,000)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483160630.673143.jpg

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ! Checking Newspapers all the way from before the war years up to 1924,
I got Nothing on anything Mentioned.
Making me think, If real, Not so Famous.

Whether that is good or Bad depends on reality of the caches.

for what it's worth. I did Find this, Happening from the middle of June 1864 .....
[From what I see the Battle took place June 14,15 1864]

bb.jpg

The National tribune. (Washington, D.C.), 29 Dec. 1898.
0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg

The National tribune. (Washington, D.C.) 1877-1917, December 29, 1898, Page 3, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, Thanks for your time and help. That's a really interesting story. Makes me curious if William Robbins received any medals of recognition.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused with the dates of when this town was named. I see the mention of the 1860s but according to this marker the town changed names in the late 1950s. ???

Attachments

• Pine Mountain.jpg
    Pine Mountain.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 86

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Are they true stories or are they myths?....

I'll vote "myth". Most all the colorful treasure legends you'll hear about (that are oh-so-fun to read about) are all just campfire legends gone awry. If I had a dollar for every sure-fire treasure told to me to be in my area alone, I could retire already :) They all sound so iron clad and true, but ..... any amount of critical thinking (alternate explanations) ends most of them. JMHO.

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused with the dates of when this town was named. I see the mention of the 1860s but according to this marker the town changed names in the late 1950s. ???

What's also confusing, is that there are apparently two pine mountains in Georgia. The other being further east near kennesaw. It's hard to distinguish the two when trying to find historical documents [emoji58]

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the south had money to hide it is shameful that the troops were so lacking in everything

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What's also confusing, is that there are apparently two pine mountains in Georgia. The other being further east near kennesaw. It's hard to distinguish the two when trying to find historical documents [emoji58]
The Pine mountain that had the Leyfield Plantation at its top where the alleged treasure was buried is now part of FDR State Park, and I believe is off limits to treasure hunting.

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the funny thing is... You could do it. No one is arguing the possibility. Heck you could walk out there, and point at the ground with a peg leg dog and find it... But your calculations are WAY off... if you are swinging at a speed of 3.5 feet per second, at a constant rate (not stopping to dig anything) with 10 inches of coverage, you're covering 3.3333 Sq feet per second, or 200 Sq feet a minute.

You'll cover 12,000 square feet an hour (again, if you only dig up the cache), giving you some coverage of about 72,000 Square feet in the 6 hours you're hunting.

in one square mile, there are 27,878,400 square feet, meaning in 2500 square miles there are a whopping 69,696,000,000 square feet. Yes, that's almost 70 BILLION square feet.

72,000 out of 69,696,000,000 square feet is not %0.002.
72000/69696000000 = 0.00000103305 or approximately one out of a million.

So... roughly the same shot as Dumb had with Mary. :) Your reference is spot on, buddy!

LOL

I do wish you the very best. But don't go out there thinking you have a one in 50,000 chance!

Skippy

Good catch. I missed a zero. I was calculating for 6,969,600,000 sq ft. That puts my estimation at1 in 500,000, or %0.0002.

I'm just poking fun with numbers tho.
Like you said, that's with no stopping to dig. And like Tom in CA mentioned, the legend to real treasure ratio is low.
Those combined with other factors probably lands the real odds a lot lower.

Bet I can score some retro pull tabs tho🕺🏿[emoji23]

OP
OP
ncFloridaBum

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pine mountain that had the Leyfield Plantation at its top where the alleged treasure was buried is now part of FDR State Park, and I believe is off limits to treasure hunting.

Yes, sadly the state park is off limits. However, I believe this squared area on the satellite imagery may have been the plantation, as it's the only area that fits the bill. It is not part of the state park. It's private land. Maybe I can get permission to have a looksee. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483236466.879741.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread