Help I think I found gold but I am to new to this....

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to my brother I have spent almost a year metal detecting and have had a complete blast with all of our hunts together. He has been banging on my head to join this forum and has had nothing but great things to say about treasurenet so here I am.

Recently 5 weeks ago my wife and I relocated from the Virginia Beach, Virginia to Sun City, California and it has been in experience to say the least.

I have been trying to learn about places to go and ended up in the San Bernardino National Forest talking to a ranger and learning about the laws and places I can go hunt. This is when I learned more about GOLD PANNING and just how much fun it can be.

I just joined GPA and I went to a claim that is close to where I live and thought this will be easy, dug up some dirt and started classifying it.

Holy %$#$ I think I see gold in my pan, well I was wrong so I thought. I even tested some and yep it’s gold. But the little nuggets are very dull looking not the shiny butter colored I was told they should be.

Then I also see 100’s or more tiny flakes in my pan. There is some black sand but not like I have seen on some videos.
Fool’s gold and how to tell the difference?

I have been told things like real gold color will not change when you move from side to side that fool’s gold will have color variations, well on tiny flakes and specs the colors are hard to tell for me somewhat, hell it all looks like gold, lol….

Also real gold will not float that it will stay on the bottom, ok I have seen the different flakes float to the top those are is easy to spot, but what about all those tiny specs on the bottom. Hey if its real gold specs there I want them. The way I see it at the end of the month it all adds up.

If I do have real gold how can I clean it up better and how and where can I sell it?

I am completely new to all this and I am really looking for any kind of help I can get.

Also maybe I am not testing my gold right but here is a pic of a couple flakes with the 22k acid.
2012-04-11_10-57-49_652.jpg

Also here is short video of whats in my pan, this is after using my sucker bottle 5-6 times, as you can see there is some sand with it as well. Still learning how to separate the sand from the gold....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

penster

Sep 3, 2012
CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you think you may have fine gold floating, put a drop of jet dry in the water in your pan. There are YouTube videos showing fine gold floating and how jet dry drops it right out.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM CURIOUS IF YOU BUY PAYDIRT WILL THAT HELP YOU WHEN YOU DO IT FOR REAL BC YOU HAVE A IDEA WHAT REAL GOLD LOOKS LIKE

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM CURIOUS IF YOU BUY PAYDIRT WILL THAT HELP YOU WHEN YOU DO IT FOR REAL BC YOU HAVE A IDEA WHAT REAL GOLD LOOKS LIKE

My advice....skip buying the dirt and just buy the gold instead. You can find reputable gold flake, pickers, and nugget sellers on ebay, just don't let the magnified photos fool you. Look at the weight. Do the math and don't pay more than spot price for flakes or pickers. Nuggets will command higher than spot price.

Also dont be fooled by gold leaf foil. if the price seems too cheap then stay away. Gold leaf foil is usually sold in vials.

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol make sure it says grams and not grains right

Just do the math. plenty of conversion tables online.

On ebay they sell gold by grams, grains, and DWT (pennyweight)
Do not purchase from anyone without first reading their feedback.

Last edited:

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Soo, how do you get buyers on ebay without feedback? Just started listing stuff and have no sales yet. Is there a secret squirrel way to get positive feedback before you even have any sales?

Ps. This is for the mining shop, not me personally.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soo, how do you get buyers on ebay without feedback? Just started listing stuff and have no sales yet. Is there a secret squirrel way to get positive feedback before you even have any sales?

Ps. This is for the mining shop, not me personally.

No way that I know of, Everyone starts out at zero. In fact ebay will not allow you to sell any high ticket items until you have acquired a positive track record.
Don't worry though, folks will buy without any feedback record as long as the price is right.

GG~

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy, not a lot of math. A gram is in the fifty dollar range and a grain is more like three and a half bucks.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol thanks for the sum up you should have been my math teacher ahahaha

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@ GottaMinute.I sell on ebay all the time.
The fastest way to get some positive feedback left for you is to go buy 20 items in the food or cooking recipes section,or dvd about learning,such as gold panning and see if you get resale rights,then you can resell these also.
Make sure everything you buy is in the .99 cents,to $2 dollar range.
This will give you a positive score of over 20 for $20 to $40.
Cheap and fast way to get started.

I did this with e-books and recipes when I started.
Make sure,again, make sure all your items bought are from a different seller,or the sale will not count.
Each sale must come from a unique,or different seller.

You can check on e-books on gold mining, or anything with PLR rights,private label,which gives you even more control.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ashman, I would like to add one thing. The best way to put water in your vial is first put the gold in. Then hold both underwater in a deep water place such as a sink. Make sure you tap the vial and the upsidedown cap to release any air bubbles. Screw on the cap while both the vial and cap are under water. Now you have no bubbles and gold looks BIGGER! TTC

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I sell on ebay and in my opinion googguy gave you good advice.

@ GottaMinute.I sell on ebay all the time.
The fastest way to get some positive feedback left for you is to go buy 20 items in the food or cooking recipes section,or dvd about learning,such as gold panning and see if you get resale rights,then you can resell these also.
Make sure everything you buy is in the .99 cents,to $2 dollar range.
This will give you a positive score of over 20 for $20 to $40.
Cheap and fast way to get started.

This does work but if its a dealer I always check and see what their seller feedback is. If i see that they have made a lot of purchases to pad their feedback stats then it raises a red flag in my mind and I buy from someone else. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way so doing it is a double edged sword.

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, thanks guys! The auctions end today, no bidders yet...not too worried though. This was out very first listing, and it was a learning experience. We are going to start listing strictly gold and see where that gets us.

Nathen

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. New here. Got a question. My dad thinks he's found gold and I keep tellin him it's pyrite. It shines in the pan but moves easy. Really small pieces of flour. I built a blue bowl to see if it moves like gold or not and the pieces stuck even with water on pretty high blasting all the rocks and black sand out.

He bought a microscope because it's too small to picture. I keep thinking pyrite.

Thoughts?

Woah holy bump from me. My bad it wasn't far down on the list

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread