Help!!! I think I found something.

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
I rented a Whites 2 Box TM808 last week and took it on a trip to visit an old gold mine. I had to 4wheel drive to get in the area and stopped at an old cabin and used the 2 Box while I stretched my legs. I wasn't getting anything around the cabin so I went farther out by some trees. I got a faint signal by one of them and decided to check it out. I dug about 6 inches down and wide enough to put the front coil from the 2 Box in the hole, and checked the signal again. This time the signal was stronger than before and I got more energetic in the dig. After the depth reached 18 inches I checked again and this time the the signal reached 20 on the gauge. I had a small shovel and tested what signal I would get with that and it only went to 7 on the gauge. I was getting into some big roots from the tree and it was getting tougher to dig so I started using a metal cup to dig around the roots. I got down to what looked like the edge of a box and started using my hands. The wood crumbled when I touched it because it was so rotted out. I pulled out a 2 foot long 2 in wide piece of it and it had nails along the edge of it indicating that this piece was nailed as the side or the top of a box. The roots were in the way and I didn't have anything to cut them out with, but it looked like the roots had broke the box up and pushed whatever is in it deeper in the soil. I did have a 18 inch long screw driver and shoved it between some roots to see if there was a hole behind. Sure enough it poked thru with little resistance. It was gettin late and I needed more equipement to dig this out, so I covered it back up and made it look like nothing had been dug up untill I can return. The mine was half a mile away and I think the cabin was used as a base camp, so anything could be under those roots.

OP
OP
P

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
My question would be on the 2 Box if I was using it correctly as a pinpointer by putting the front coil in the hole. Or by tilting the unit to put it in the whole caused the increase in signal because of the proximity of the ground? Also the wood I pulled out of the hole was not smooth in any way, it had been crudely made like the old timers did to make a flat section of wood. The nails were very thick but had round heads, so I think they would be from the early 1900's.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got a signal and found something that looks like it might be a box with maybe something in it, then I think you did good. I wouldn't worry if it is the proper way of using your 2 box if the results are a good find. Keep up the good work and let know what you found.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, hard to stop even when its almost dark when you are digging a hole after something! May be an old crate filled with gold ore! No way it just sank into the ground there, that deep someone buried it. Good luck on that and take pictures so we can see what was there!

OP
OP
P

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
I had some say the box might be a coffin of some sorts. I tested the 2 Box on the piece of wood that had the nails in it and it didn't register at all. (Not enough metal.) So if it is a coffin for a pet or human, they buried at least a gallon buckets worth of metal with them based on the strength of the signal. Now that brings up a moral issue of taking from the dead if it is a human coffin. No problem if it was buried with a pet though.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'd like to know what it is too. sounds like you're using the the 2 box fine. when you return to keep digging, take a
hatchet with you to use on the roots.
let us know what it is

K

Kentucky Kache

I was gonna ask if you tried detecting the nails to see if they read similar to what was in the hole, but you already answered that. So, I'll just say I hope you get something good out of there. Now, hurry up and let us see what it is. :icon_pirat:

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I have come across this several times, only they were picks, shovels an miscellaneous tools that
old timers stashed for future use. I hope it is not a coffin or old dynamite. whatever you find take your time to think everything through. Remember that people will want what you have and will spare no expense to get it.

I hope your box is filled with the riches we all seek.

OP
OP
P

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
Can dynamite be detected by a metal detector, especially a 2 Box unit? If so I think everybody needs to be warned to be carefull. I never heard or read anything to that fact.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Pieman said:
Can dynamite be detected by a metal detector, especially a 2 Box unit? If so I think everybody needs to be warned to be carefull. I never heard or read anything to that fact.
No, but tools stored with it would be.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Take a sharp keyhole saw for the roots. Don't bang around with hatchets till
you find nothing of value, then use the dull edge to remind yourself that
caches are rare.

OP
OP
P

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
Now I'm a Glass half full type of guy and would believe that people would have their work equipment down by the mine and hide their valubles closer to their living area to watch over it. Besides that, why would you dig a hole to put tools in when you are in such a romote area that doesn't have travelers swinging by all the time. Are the critters going to take them away?

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Pieman said:
Now I'm a Glass half full type of guy and would believe that people would have their work equipment down by the mine and hide their valubles closer to their living area to watch over it. Besides that, why would you dig a hole to put tools in when you are in such a romote area that doesn't have travelers swinging by all the time. Are the critters going to take them away?
When detecting around old mines, every now and then you find cashes of tools. I was only explaining what it might be and a little advice to boot, but it seems like you're trying to ridicule me.

I hope you find what you were looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions