Help identify please!

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this in Southwest Iowa and would appreciate any info that can be provided.

IMG_20181019_042832087_HDR.jpg IMG_20181019_042807269_HDR.jpg IMG_20181019_042750534_HDR.jpg IMG_20181019_042740807_HDR.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you further explain yourselves when you say just a rock. I am trying to understand the logic behind your reasoning. I can't learn if nothing to learn from except my own logic

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you further explain yourselves when you say just a rock. I am trying to understand the logic behind your reasoning. I can't learn if nothing to learn from except my own logic

? Not sure what your asking, it is just a rock that is weathered, not an artifact. Are you asking what rock is composed of?

Here is a link to a member who has help many members identify rocks.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html

Post it there and he can help you.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To shape a rock like that, an Indian would peck it with a quartz hammerstone. This would leave the rock with the same roughness all over. Once it's shaped by pecking, the rough surface is removed by abrading with sandstone or similar rock. Polishing leaves it very smooth but probably some peck marks still remain. From the time the pecking is done, the rock has a consistent finish all over. It's all worked and all looks the same. Gary

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
To shape a rock like that, an Indian would peck it with a quartz hammerstone. This would leave the rock with the same roughness all over. Once it's shaped by pecking, the rough surface is removed by abrading with sandstone or similar rock. Polishing leaves it very smooth but probably some peck marks still remain. From the time the pecking is done, the rock has a consistent finish all over. It's all worked and all looks the same. Gary

I posted this in the fossil forum not the artifact forum.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The outer brown layer is a mud mix sediment from a second deposit. The layer underneath has some manganese or whatever iron oxide has leached in during mineral transfer, that’s the purplish color. I can’t tell if it’s silicified or much more than that from the photos. It could have been a piece of coral or something else at one time, but I can’t see anything that would help identify it. Try to clean it up and see what you got.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Not a geologist but IMO a rock...that looks like a bone....:thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO a rock, posted in the Fossils forum, that coincidentally has the outline of a shark's tooth.

Though shark's teeth are invariably thinner at the tip than the root in all three dimensions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread