Help Identifying Glass Flasks & Shot Glasses Hidden in Book

Onomea

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help me identify these flasks/bottles and shot glasses.

On the bottom of the flasks the word “DEPOSE” appears.

The glass, with another flask, is hidden in what appears to be a book:

I originally surmised that this “book bar” was created during Prohibition. I now think it may be earlier as the book restorer who is restoring/renewing the “book” tells me that the original book from which it is made dates from approximately the 18th century. In the US, the Temperance Movement dates from the 1820s...

I’m hoping for help in dating the glass, although any info at all is appreciated.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help, but very lovely!

I would google a vintage glass board - they have helped me on items like this.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
French in origin, Depose means registered in French. Beautiful set, I'd think 1870-90ish...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome find was there booze in the bottle would have been awesome to drink lol yep Google should help if no one here does research can be fun..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet Tommy

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome find was there booze in the bottle would have been awesome to drink lol yep Google should help if no one here does research can be fun..

I was just watching a show on TV, just now, and they had an onion bottle from a late 17th century shipwreck with the cork and wine still in it. The host of the show got to smell it and I was still jealous, haha

OP
OP
O

Onomea

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words. Epackage/Jim, thank you for the estimate of age. Would you know why the French ”registered/depose” is on the bottom of the bottles? Is it the name of the manufacturer? Or does it signify something else?

A2coins/Tommy, thank you for the welcome, and yes, there was some booze in it. I polished it off over 20 years ago.... If I recall correctly, it was a modest brandy. My father, who was known to take a nip, used this set, though never within my or my siblings sight. (On the other hand, he made no secret of his drinking either.) I think he inherited the set back in the 70s from his uncle, and used it for fun thereafter. I came across it — partially loaded, as it were — after his death, some 25 years ago, and asked my mother, now also gone, if I could have it.

I’ve kept it around, rarely looking at it, in my bookcase this past quarter of a century, but recently decided it would be a fun project to restore/renew, so that it is no longer in danger of falling apart. I like the idea of filling the bottles perhaps with a good bourbon and a good scotch, and occasionally pulling it out of the bookcase for a snort with good friends or family.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind words. Epackage/Jim, thank you for the estimate of age. Would you know why the French ”registered/depose” is on the bottom of the bottles? Is it the name of the manufacturer? Or does it signify something else?
I assume it was a trademark on that particular design for the bottle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread