Help IDing old bottles

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start off by saying I do not know anything about bottles. I have these three Id like some help with.

The first one is a 1 Gallon Glass jug with one handle shown here.
IMG_0848Medium.jpg

It has a seam on each side and has "One Gallon" marked on each side. Here is a picture of the bottom which is marked with what looks like a G above an e, not sure though
IMG_0858Large.jpg

The second bottle is a large water jug type bottle. It is marked on the bottom with a "I" stamped inside an "O" has a "7" stamped to the right of it, a "60" stamped to the right of it, and a "10" stamped below it. Im just guessing that the bottle was made in July 1960 and is 10 gallons? I looked up the maker mark and it shows that it was in use from the late 50's to present.
IMG_0850Medium.jpg

IMG_0851Medium.jpg

IMG_0852Medium.jpg

The last bottle is bigger than the gallon jug and has two handles. The bottom is studded with a big X. In the bottom of the X is stamped "UGB", on the right of the X is stamped "2", to the left of the X is a "-", and on the top of the X is stamped " X690".
IMG_0854Medium.jpg

IMG_0855Medium.jpg

IMG_0856Medium.jpg

Any help with dating, what they may have contained or estimated values would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
U G B .................United Glass Bottle Manufacturers, Inc. (large conglomerate of many glass factories in the United Kingdom). Mark dates from 1913 to about 1968.

O-I.jpg
I within an "O".......Owens-Illinois Glass Company, Toledo, OH [head office], 22 glass factory locations in the US and Canada. (1929-to date), mark used c. 1954 to the present.

Source: http://myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
the first jug looks like a coca cola syrup jug for soda fountains from the 1960's (with full label and lid it books for $12 )....and the second jug is a water cooler jug.......yeah they used to be made out of glass....those go for about $20 - $25 at flea markets here

Attachments

• coke jug.jpg
    coke jug.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 222

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread