HELP???? looking to get another coil for my ace 250

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at the moment i only have a few old homesites and some wooded areas to hunt in, at least thats where i have been hunting, couple areas are very trashy and some not, trying to determine if i should get a bigger coil or the sniper coil, would love to get some feedback from anyone who has upgraded good bad or indiffrent, if you have upgraded please let me know if it is better or worse thanthe stock coil, i have been leaning towards the bigger coil but i need feed back to help me decide thanks for any and all help
outlaw75

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Ace a long time now. About 6 months after I got it, I purchased the sniper coil. I hunt in very trashy places and thought I would give it a try. When I put it on, it has never come off...in fact, I think I lost the original coil. It doesn't get as much use as it used to but I will never let it go. When I do hunt with it, I put it in all metal and can pick out coins that were masked with the original coil. Yes, it is one noisy mess but I can tell and pinpoint right on the nose with it. Good luck on your choice.

OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks sc_hunter
did you loose any depth, or did any reading come in diffrent than stock coil
what part of sc are you from im in NC

OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come on guys and gals i know there is a wealth knowledge on here, as i read so many of your posts, really looking for some good feedback on either going with the sniper coil or going up to a bigger one, if bigger one which one do you recommend, if smaller which one do you recommend

thanks again for any help

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come on guys and gals i know there is a wealth knowledge on here, as i read so many of your posts, really looking for some good feedback on either going with the sniper coil or going up to a bigger one, if bigger one which one do you recommend, if smaller which one do you recommend

thanks again for any help

I asked a similar question. I think by going by what you described for your hunting areas the stock 6.5x9 is made for general hunting and should be ok for hunting the wooded areas you described. The sniper is for tight areas or trashy areas which would be good for old home sites. It is known for getting close to metal objects so if you hunt tot lots you can get real close to the metal poles of the equiptment and the fence line.
I went with the 2223000 ACE 5x8 inch PROformance DD Searchcoil It goes pretty deep and it works great for small or trashy places. If you turn the sensitivity down to about 2-4 bars, you can get fairly close to fences and metal poles.

The big upgrade from the Ace 250 to the Ace 350 is the DD coil. I would suggest that if you are getting a new coil for it to go with the DD type.
Here is why: DD Coil vs Concentric Search Coils - Hollands Brook
Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

dd-coil.png

Here is my thread I posted with that question:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/292336-sniper-coil-5x8-dd-coil-better.html#post2759695

Good luck & happy hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks ace

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions