Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
campville
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP........md'ing after a flood

i was wondering if it is a good thing or a bad thing to go md'ing in and around a creek and river near me after it flooded really bad ? i live near the susqhuehanna river and we had a really bad flood that really screwed up our creeks and river banks. I just dont fully understand if it would have covered or buried things worse or if the flood was to my advantage. can someone please give their thoughts on this .

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think there is a general rule that applies. Some areas get more covered with ground that came from somewhere else. Floods also move things. You just have to try. I would be careful. Wear good shoes and watch for watr critters that could be dangerous.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get after it, as md'ing is always a good thing. Keep your eyes open for arrowheads, as these may be washed out after a flood.

OP
OP
C

craven27

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
campville
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully it will bring some good finds. I will try a good walk up the creek and pray it hasnt buried everything more than it already was.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go there know scan what you kin
then next or when ever it happens a gain
by being there the first time you will know what change

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id say give it a go , but keep in mind a big flood will also wash alot of debri down so you may find alot of junk,, dont let it get you discouraged .

OP
OP
C

craven27

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
campville
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i appreciate the thoughts guys . i had no luck down at this river spot . i also had a problem with lots and lots of junk at another spot i found . it used to be an 1800's depot station with a saloon next to it and one other building. not a thing i just dug up piece after piece of junk . chunks of metal , cans , random rail parts and just tons of junk . frustrating but it's all a part of metal detecting i suppose.

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im from NEPA and new to the hobby but i think its worth a shot. I know for a fact there is a TON of junk on the banks of the Susquehanna near where i live but i also bet there are some nice finds too. Good luck.

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you from the Kingston/Wilkes Barre area by chance? Because there was a old train depot in Kingston PA that i was going to check out. Hope its not all junk although im sure its been detected a lot since its common knowledge where it is.

OP
OP
C

craven27

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
campville
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope this was in smithboro. im sure there are finds still there but it would just be a nightmare digging all the stuff out of there and praying to get something worth while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread