Help me choose a (Fisher) detector!!!

Jobey1

Sep 25, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
So I've been using an old Garrett GTA500 that I bought back in '94 when I was 14. About 10 years ago I put the hobby on hold until about 2 years ago. I purchased a used 6000di pro SL cause thats what my friend has been using for over 20 years. I think its a good machine but harder to use and so big and bulky. So I sold it. I see that most everyone now is using the Fisher F75, Teknetics T2, or a Minelab E trac. Well, these detectors are out of my price range, so I think I have decided on the Fisher F70 and when I have some more money I can upgrade to a DD search coil. I guess I just want some reasurance that I am making the right choice ??? Kellyco only has one review on the F70. I want to spend my money well and find some good deep coins. Any input would be appreciated greatly. Thanks ...Joe
Feel free to email me also at [email protected]

Hi Joe,

If I were you I would check out the Teknetics Omega and DD coil. Most all reports say it is competitive depth wise with the T2/F75 on coins. I put about 40 hours on one last fall before winter set in and was impressed at its ability to pull coins out of the local sites I have hunted for years with many detector/coil combos. It definitely gets the stuff other machines miss whether becuase they are deep or partially masked. I have not used the F75 but comparing the Omega to the T2 which I have used, for coins, it's an easy choice for me... Omega.

Tom

Brand new a F70 is only $50 more than an Omegga but with the Fisher you still have the option of using the inline sunray probe. If you decide to upgrade to a F75 the probe will still work for that as well.

All 3 are good machines But I'd keep saving for the E- trac.

I can't say enough how happy I am with my F75. It's light, powerful, easy to change setting on the fly, and I've never made more finds in one season than I have with this machine. I haven't used an F70, but according to what I've read, it's pretty close to the F75 minus some bells and whistles.

I was in the same boat as you last summer trying to decide which detector offered the most bang for the buck. I liked both the T2 and F75 but couldn't swing 1000.00 plus for a new one. I definitely wanted the F75 because of the way it could be customized. I was just about ready to buy a new T2 when a near new F75 popped up on Ebay. To make a long story short (too late) I won the F75 and it was like brand new but around 400.00 cheaper than new and around 100.00 less than the new T2.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Mike

Check out the Omega 8000 from the First Texas family .
Look around it is about 700.00 with DD coil
I have a F75 but the Omega seems to be a easier version of it

the F70 is a very good machine for the Bux....

AND, you'll find that its not only easier to use than the 6000 you currently use, its much deeper and a good deal better at separation, even with the stock coiil. When you put the F75 11" open frame coil on it, it has much the same flavor as the F75, minus a few processes. (The stock F75 coil is the only coil i use on the F70) The F70 actually shares more with the F5 than it does with the F75, despite surface differences. The F70 WAS my backup to my F75 till I got the LTD.......now the F75 is the backup.
While the F70 may not have the raw power of the F75, it does have a few distinct advantages. first, its a bit more immune to RF interference than the F75 is. Secondly, the F70 has full threshold control in disc, where the threshold settings in disc on the 75 are pre-determined by the process chosen. Last but not least.....................the F70 has the SL mode, which collects more signal, making the responses more robust. It uses all the coils the F75 does too..... giving it a nice array of coils to choose from.
If you want a nice light, easy to use machine, with excellent battery life, good ergonomics, and great performance, the F70 would be a good choice. The new Teks are very good machines too though. A lot of guys that have bought them are very pleased with their performance. My best advice is.......save and buy the best machine you can. In the end it will eventually pay for itself, and you'll regret buying something based soley on price down the road.

If you view the videos posted below, the second one is positively the better of the two!!! :icon_thumleft: Streak!

First Texas Fisher also makes Teknetics and that Teknetics Omega 8000 runs so good that it is up there with the T2 and F70 & F75 it is a really a surpriseing detector. I think the only difference between the Omega is it runs at 7.8 kHz and the T2 & F70 & F75 runs at 13 kHz..

Re: the F70 is a very good machine for the Bux....

Streak! said:
AND, you'll find that its not only easier to use than the 6000 you currently use, its much deeper and a good deal better at separation, even with the stock coiil. When you put the F75 11" open frame coil on it, it has much the same flavor as the F75, minus a few processes. (The stock F75 coil is the only coil i use on the F70) The F70 actually shares more with the F5 than it does with the F75, despite surface differences. The F70 WAS my backup to my F75 till I got the LTD.......now the F75 is the backup.
While the F70 may not have the raw power of the F75, it does have a few distinct advantages. first, its a bit more immune to RF interference than the F75 is. Secondly, the F70 has full threshold control in disc, where the threshold settings in disc on the 75 are pre-determined by the process chosen. Last but not least.....................the F70 has the SL mode, which collects more signal, making the responses more robust. It uses all the coils the F75 does too..... giving it a nice array of coils to choose from.
If you want a nice light, easy to use machine, with excellent battery life, good ergonomics, and great performance, the F70 would be a good choice. The new Teks are very good machines too though. A lot of guys that have bought them are very pleased with their performance. My best advice is.......save and buy the best machine you can. In the end it will eventually pay for itself, and you'll regret buying something based soley on price down the road.

If you view the videos posted below, the second one is positively the better of the two!!! :icon_thumleft: Streak!

Hi Streak,

The reason I recommended the Omega over the F70 is because the poster indicated his main interest is coin hunting. The unique iron suppresion ability and lower operating frequency of the Omega makes it a great pick for coins whether hunting old sites with iron or park hunting.

Tom Z

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I'll use it wisely. It will be a few weeks before I purchase anything. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Thanks, Joe
;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back