Help Me Choose My First Detector?? Fisher f2/Tesoro/Ace250

poprocks

Nov 2, 2008
I looking to purchase my first metal detector. I've been reading a lot of reviews and I'm split between a few detectors. I'm looking for your feedback of pros and cons of each of these to try and find the best one. I do hear a lot of great things about tesoro but am bothered by no digital display. Are tesoros really that much better then the f2 and ace250?

In no particular order theses are the detectors i need some feedback on.
1. Garrett Ace 250 - Has more settings then the Fisher f2 but has slower recovery time and an annoying beep tone.
2. Fisher f2 - This has a better recovery time then the ACE250 but has less settings then it.
3. Tesoro - Not sure which one but am very interested in feedback, I hear a lot of great things but i'm sorta bothered by their being no display.
4. Any other suggested metal detectors

Price range: $100-$275

Mainly hunting for coins. I will be using my detector in the city at parks, old building sites, yards, school grounds, etc. Wont be going to the beach but may be hunting near some water at hiking spots. I live in southern California not sure about the soil, something I wouldn't have to balance every time i go out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I have the ace250 and I like it ,BUT...I wish Id had bought the tesoro silver UMAX,its faster on recovery,and I can only imagine the targets Ive missed by trusting the "display"...the ace is good for a begginer, but you will find I think in 1 year you'll want something better (which would at least be the UMAX).
Plus what Easymoney says that out west the soil is much more mineralized than it is here in Indiana (gravey dirt) so the ace will go nutz...you cant beat the lifetime warranty with tesoros either (period)! warning: the warranty only applies to the original owner...so buy one new!
I bought my ace in March this year and I think Ive already outgrown it. You'll want one that gets you to actually learn your machine and not to learn to trust the display.Im looking into a water machine next season and its between the tesoro tiger shark and a minelab excalibur 800 both have no display and it may be dificult to break away from it for a minute...go with the Tesoro IMHO.
HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a excellent choice in the Cibola. :thumbsup:

Many targets that you will see on a display are representations and not what is really down there. So if it says pull tab and you leave it, you could have left a gold ring for someone else to find.

Good Luck,
Sandman

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with Tesoro--

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tesoro Silver U MAX, with a 10x12 coil. You'll go deep. Plus with the Tesoro line you get the lifetime warranty. I have both the Tesoro Silver U max and the Ace 250. They are both some what the same but the Tesoro is deeper if you compare 12 inch coils. Plus the Tesoro is more durably built and you cant beat the warranty. I think my ace had like a two year warranty, if that long and it is well built enough. The one advantage the Ace has is it's weight, is light as a feather. But otherwise the Tesoro is the best of those mentioned. :wink:

Detect9

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006
Tesoro silver UMAX is a great buy and hard to beat for the price. You wont be disappointed with any Tesoro choice.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I got to read all that info myself. I have been thinking about getting a detector too, and I am also new to the whole thing.
So all the info was a great help.

Willy

I'm kinda late to the game on this thread, but here's my 2 cents. I'd buy a used Tesoro, preferably one that can be effectively ground balanced. I had an Ace 250 up here in HOTROCK HELL!!!.. B.C. Canada, and the detector didn't necessarily go crazy, but really lacked any real depth in many areas. I'm not saying it would do so everywhere here.. just where I hunt. AFAIK, there isn't an option for adjusting a GB pot on the Ace. With Tesoro detectors, with the exception of the Cortez/DeLeon/LST, there's either a GB control on the faceplate or a mini-potentiometer on the circuit board. Some, like the Toltec II, have a plug on the back which can be removed to access said control. The nice thing about Tesoro detectors is that they're generally pretty hot on small, low conductive targets like ear studs and gold chains (though a chain might not be small, the received signal is). They are also, often enough, set for rather hot ground at the factory. ..Willy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
titanicgirl said:
I'm glad I got to read all that info myself. I have been thinking about getting a detector too, and I am also new to the whole thing.
So all the info was a great help.

Welcome to TreasureNet! :thumbsup:

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Good luck! I'd recommend an Ace 250. That's all that I have used, but I think it is a FANTASTIC introductory detector. I have used it for a year and a half. I have made amazing finds, including an 1882 Morgan silver dollar, 1945 Walking half dollar, and several Mercuries, etc. I think for the money, it is the best investment that can be made.

HH,

Dr. Ace

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love that Cibola, very deep (mild soil) , excellent discrimination

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm always somewhat hesitant to make suggestions when several of the choices are machines I've never personally had any experience with. That said, I have a stable full of Tesoros and a couple of others that I've made good deals on. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I've had excellent resuts from the Tesoros and I know that any in their line up will be a very good choice for the money.
Good luck and happyt digging,
Bill

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 was my first machine. If I knew then then what I know now I could've saved a few bucks and gone to the Tesoro.

hurthawk

Jan 16, 2008
Tuolumne county Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Falcon MD20
Garrett 1500
Fisher F2
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't comment on the Tesoro but my wife has both the Fisher F2 and the Ace 250 and has made some very nice discoveries
with both detectors. She seems to like the F2 a bit more. I was so impressed with it that I bought one for my sister for Xmas.
They have a Xmas deal now where you get the 4" coil for free (around $200.00 for the package)
Prior to retiring, I lived on Monterey and did a lot of beach detecting as well as turf.
You might like to see this link http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,688668,688668#msg-688668
Happy hunting,
Rick

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I have the f2 and it seems to be working ok. i have found coins with it but nothing old yet. it's light and affordable. i still have to use it more to get used to it. but all in all a good first time entry level detector.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
No one should rely soley on the detector display for info. No ID detector or non-ID made is 100% accurate. ID detectors only offer probabilities not actual. Non-ID detectors fare no better. They can't look into the ground and see the target any better than you can. I've owned about everyone made and field tested a slew of them. Any detector is 90% operator and 10% detector. One has to be smarter than the detector to be successful.

Bill

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you made a great choice, the best one out of the options you mentioned in my opinion. :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not matter one spitting bit.

Pick the one that has the sleekest lines and coolest colors.

Your going wish you had the other one anyhow no matter what you choose and then you will have to buy it, and then, darn, the other one would have been even better until a new one with even cooler colors comes out and then you will decide you need a dedicated nugget hunting machine until you get it and then figure your fortune lies underwater whereas you will have another dozen to buy...

it's a sickness...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Elf In Back said:
It does not matter one spitting bit.

Pick the one that has the sleekest lines and coolest colors.

Your going wish you had the other one anyhow no matter what you choose and then you will have to buy it, and then, darn, the other one would have been even better until a new one with even cooler colors comes out and then you will decide you need a dedicated nugget hunting machine until you get it and then figure your fortune lies underwater whereas you will have another dozen to buy...

it's a sickness...

He's right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread