Help Me Decide Between a Vaquero and a Tejon

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I've had a Silver uMax since...I don't know, 2003? It was my first "real" machine after my first cheap detector (a Radio Shack Discovery or something like that) and while it hasn't seen much use recently, it's found some really cool stuff for me over the years.

The girlfriend and I were recently discussing the simple pleasures involved with swinging a lightweight beep-and-dig machine and while our Deus's can certainly be configured to emulate this, it's not the same thing as a true analog beep-and-dig, is it? I did a bit of research - naturally centered on Tesoro of course, as this is their bread and butter - and I wound up reading the Vaquero/Tejon book that's been making the rounds. I want to have an analog machine to swing occasionally and I trust Tesoro, but which shall it be? There is no fixed budget here but less money is always better. Here is what I'm dealing with:

1. It must outperform a Silver uMax in depth. (Ideally, it should be performing around where a Deus or an E-Trac would be, or else I'll worry about what I'm missing and won't enjoy myself.)
2. Mineralization? Check. Lots. Not a lot of hot rocks though. Plenty of iron in the soil.
3. No salt water beaches for this machine.
4. I do a lot of parks and playfields. I live in the armpit of the county and there's plenty of trash - mostly bottle caps, can slaw, and pull tabs. Also those little foil balls that the drug addicts leave behind.
5. EMI? Check. I'm normally hunting in an urban environment.

The book makes a strong case for the Tejon, but I think that the Vaquero might be a better choice for me. What do you think? Or is there another Tesoro that may do better?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you read the book to get an understanding of the two detectors. I think you would do well with the Vaquero as the Tejon is a might more sensitive. But Tesoro is coming out with a new detector and nobody knows what is on it yet.

OP
OP
Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
But Tesoro is coming out with a new detector and nobody knows what is on it yet.

And this is an issue that's bothering me. Perhaps I'll wait until the Cazadore is released and see what's going on with that.

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great questions Dave! Nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this exact same dilemma.
I too prefer a quality analog unit for coin hunting and, like you, have read the Thorsten book about
Vaqueros & Tejons. The choice is a tough one. Watching YouTube videos from '53Silver seem to
convince that the Vaquero is the way to go, but the general TNet consensus is that the Tejon has
the depth advantage. Depth, depth, DEPTH....we tend to assign the most weight to that parameter
when evaluating a machine but the collective values of other features (both positive and negative)
may negate the perceived advantage of a little more depth. The cost difference only hits you once
(at purchase) but other characteristics such as weight, circuit stability, battery drain, etc. hit you
every time you use the machine. They say the Tejon can be "chatty" (like Fisher units are infamous
for) but couldn't the gain (sensitivity) simply be turned down a little to compensate? How much
depth loss would this cost? If you did this, would you be effectively turning it into a Vaquero? The
Tejon weighs more, but at 2.98 pounds is still a light machine. The trigger-controlled second
discrimination circuit is definitely a plus......besides, trigger-controlled pinpointing is cool...it just
"feels" good. You know, it's a TRIGGER!
Others have said the Vaquero discrimination mode is so stable & quiet that they sometimes have
to check to make sure it's working correctly. They say it becomes "an almost natural extension of
your arm". It certainly has the weight advantage at 2.2 pounds. My original circa '92 Minelab
Sovereign (which now needs diagnosis & repair) weighs 2.25 lbs when hip-mounting the
control box. Likewise, my Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut weighs about 2.75 lbs. when hip mounting.
So both the Tejon & the Vaquero get high marks for light weight. Does the Tejon's depth
advantage and trigger-activated dual disc. circuits make it a better choice over the lighter
and less expensive Vaquero? And can the depth advantage be quantified.....10% deeper,
20% deeper? Maybe we SHOULD wait the new Cazador!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get a Vaquero and get to detecting!

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a Silver uMax since...I don't know, 2003? It was my first "real" machine after my first cheap detector (a Radio Shack Discovery or something like that) and while it hasn't seen much use recently, it's found some really cool stuff for me over the years.

The girlfriend and I were recently discussing the simple pleasures involved with swinging a lightweight beep-and-dig machine and while our Deus's can certainly be configured to emulate this, it's not the same thing as a true analog beep-and-dig, is it? I did a bit of research - naturally centered on Tesoro of course, as this is their bread and butter - and I wound up reading the Vaquero/Tejon book that's been making the rounds. I want to have an analog machine to swing occasionally and I trust Tesoro, but which shall it be? There is no fixed budget here but less money is always better. Here is what I'm dealing with:

1. It must outperform a Silver uMax in depth. (Ideally, it should be performing around where a Deus or an E-Trac would be, or else I'll worry about what I'm missing and won't enjoy myself.)
2. Mineralization? Check. Lots. Not a lot of hot rocks though. Plenty of iron in the soil.
3. No salt water beaches for this machine.
4. I do a lot of parks and playfields. I live in the armpit of the county and there's plenty of trash - mostly bottle caps, can slaw, and pull tabs. Also those little foil balls that the drug addicts leave behind.
5. EMI? Check. I'm normally hunting in an urban environment.

The book makes a strong case for the Tejon, but I think that the Vaquero might be a better choice for me. What do you think? Or is there another Tesoro that may do better?

The Vaquero is a cousin to the Lobo SuperTRAQ! That dawg (Vaquero) will hunt gold nuggets!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon trigger to pinpoint all metal can quickly show an irregular target to be a different location and not round like a ring or coin! Also the GB can be quickly verified... The second disc is nice when there is too much of one kind of trash and set to break up on it!
I know nothing of the Vaquero! Perhaps ignorance is bliss... I am very pleased with my Tejon...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread