Help!! need a direction.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I only have a limited knowledge of researching a potential cache site. I have some individual names and their occupations and a little more digging and I'll be able to locate their original homestead. My question is in regards to which to concentrate my research on. I have the occupation listed as: 1.Postmaster,Justice of the peace and general merchant. 2.Pail and Tub maker. 3. farmer and clergymen. 4. hotel proprietor and farmer. 5. Carriage maker. Out of these 5 people who would you concentrate on and why? If possible put them in order of importance. If this is not enough information I'm sorry I am new at the whole research thing but I am quickly becoming addicted to it. I might have to abandon a search if I find that the homestead is buried under water. There is several towns that were flooded and many homes relocated or burned and bulldozed over to make way for the lake.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
swizzle said:
I only have a limited knowledge of researching a potential cache site. I have some individual names and their occupations and a little more digging and I'll be able to locate their original homestead. My question is in regards to which to concentrate my research on. I have the occupation listed as: 1.Postmaster,Justice of the peace and general merchant. 2.Pail and Tub maker. 3. farmer and clergymen. 4. hotel proprietor and farmer. 5. Carriage maker. Out of these 5 people who would you concentrate on and why? If possible put them in order of importance. If this is not enough information I'm sorry I am new at the whole research thing but I am quickly becoming addicted to it. I might have to abandon a search if I find that the homestead is buried under water. There is several towns that were flooded and many homes relocated or burned and bulldozed over to make way for the lake.

I'd say #3, farmer and clergyman. Farmer's tended to bury stuff anyway, and a clergyman probably needed to at least look like he was living modestly, even if he was rich. Both handled cash and coin. The farmer wouldn't have trusted banks, and the clergyman might have skimmed the collection plate. After that I'd concentrate on the group that handled cash a lot. Postmaster, JP and the merchant are in that group, but the pail and tub maker might have worked for someone else and collected a paycheck. Ditto for the carriage maker. Farmer and hotel proprietor would both handle cash, and the hotel proprietor would also be in a position to steal valuable from guests. If I were going to rank them from best prospects to least I would do it 3,4,1,5,2. The carriage maker drops in ahead of the pail maker because a carriage maker might also sell the product.

M

mercypa

If the hotel had a bar in it the patrons might have lost more than coins outside in a fight or two.Also a Carriage maker used to make coffins so who's to tell if an item or two wasn't removed before the lid was put on.

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I've been working on a certain treasure lead that i'm hoping to get lucky on. I know from the stories I've heard and what I've read that the guy I'm looking for is an undertaker or coroner from 1900 to 1903. In the story a man claims he will take his money to the grave with him. He buy's an expensive rosewood coffin. A few years later the family can't take it anymore and order the man dug up. To their suprize there is no rosewood coffin but a much cheaper coffin. The undertaker quickly made up the difference in the price. From this I assume that the undertaker is a little crooked so if indeed the man took his money to the grave (well almost there anyway) then the undertaker is the one that would have what I'm looking for. GOLD!!! Almost 50 gold coins 1/2 are $5 pieces and the other 1/2 $10 gold pieces. Also from the story I read that every once and a while someone comes along and thinks they got the one bit of information that's gonna make them rich. So far no one has found it. I'm assuming that the undertaker took the cache and slowly spent it in another town. But it doesn't hurt to check it out though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions