Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Of the 130+ CW Bullets I have dug, this black residue I have found on only 4 bullets. It has a flat finish. Exists in patches in the cavity, the grooves and all the way to the nose. Considering all of these are drops, it can't be barrel residue. Something from the molding process?

Attachments

• Black Residue 1.jpg
    Black Residue 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • Black Residue Others.jpg
    Black Residue Others.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be impurities from when the lead was being melted down for casting, oxidizing differently from the rest? If cast in the field, it might not have been cleaned with flux and just poured as is, getting some dross in the mold.

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Of the 130+ CW Bullets I have dug, this black residue I have found on only 4 bullets. It has a flat finish. Exists in patches in the cavity, the grooves and all the way to the nose. Considering all of these are drops, it can't be barrel residue. Something from the molding process?
It's not Blood because those are drops...lol. I have no clue, but I also found 4 bullets today.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The small black patches on your civil war yankee 3-groove Minie bullets are gunpowder-stained remnants of the tallow (the "harder" fat of cattle, sheep, etc) which was used to lubricate the bullets. The purpose of the bullets' body-grooves is to hold the lubricant. In civil war Ordnance Department documents, those grooves were called lubrication grooves, or more simply, lube-grooves. That is still their main purpose on modern bullets.

Upvote 0

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small black patches on your civil war yankee 3-groove Minie bullets are gunpowder-stained remnants of the tallow (the "harder" fat of cattle, sheep, etc) which was used to lubricate the bullets. The purpose of the bullets' body-grooves is to hold the lubricant. In civil war Ordnance Department documents, those grooves were called lubrication grooves, or more simply, lube-grooves. That is still their main purpose on modern bullets.
Seeing these made made me recall an old Aquachigger video explaining this. If you guys have not heard of him check out his youtube channel. Very addictive and binge worthy. Nice finds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks TCG! Is it your opinion that all those are fired rounds?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
None of those four Minies you found has been fired. They were dropped with the paper cartridge (and its gunpowder charge) still on them. That, and the soil chemistry, explains how bits of the tallow got stained black.

I should mention... a fired Minie-bullet ALWAYS will show at least some subtle signs that it is a fired one. I've found Minies that must have been fired with the gunbarrel pointing well above the horizon, because they show no impact-damage at all. (They flew entirely airborne until they simply "ran out of gas" and plopped down comparatively gently onto the ground.) But even those do show at least slight rifling-marks, or tiny axial (lengthwise) streaks from their trip through the gunbarrel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seeing these made made me recall an old Aquachigger video explaining this. If you guys have not heard of him check out his youtube channel. Very addictive and binge worthy. Nice finds.

I have been watching Aquachigger for quite some time. He is not a the level of CBG, but he knows quite a bit and has an AMAZING civil war relic collection. I have learned from his videos and also enjoy them. Another young guy is named Nugget Noggin and his videos are fun to watch when he detects rivers. Just something to do when not out relic hunting myself.

I just learned quite a bit from CBG's latest post in this thread. great stuff! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was gonna say powder residue as well, I have many Spencer & Burnside's where the powder has corroded the bottoms of the bullets ,(they had the metal Cases tho) ; I know you know this already. lol

I like the points on his Minnies , do you think they are Confederate , IYO of-course ?

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching Aquachigger for quite some time. He is not a the level of CBG, but he knows quite a bit and has an AMAZING civil war relic collection. I have learned from his videos and also enjoy them. Another young guy is named Nugget Noggin and his videos are fun to watch when he detects rivers. Just something to do when not out relic hunting myself.

I just learned quite a bit from CBG's latest post in this thread. great stuff! :icon_thumright:

NN & AC are good hunters but I can not watch their videos , as they make me commit the 'Sin' of Envy with every nice find.
Can not watch Detecting shows either. lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread