Help or Ideas

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Ive been toying with the idea of diving for civil war relics. I have a good site that has civil war lines that run right up to the edge of a pond that is period. Ive got a good idea that there should be relics at the bottom. I got tons of questions. Anyone ever dove in a pond to recover anything? What kind of detector should I get? I have always wanted to get certified to dive so now would be a good time as any. I also have access to diving gear. I'm just trying to kinda feel this all out. So really any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Matt

I also posted this in the water detecting forum. But the more ideas the better.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of relics do you think are there? You might try a recovery magnet for iron relics. I'm kid of interested in this too since I have a line on a similar site in a lake near me.

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lines are right on the edge of steep bank that is about 25-30 feet tall. I know that there were about 10 buckles and box plates dug out of these lines so I would think that any thing from box plates to bullets and buttons should be there. I also think/suspect that no one has done this before here. Sure underwater detectors have been around for a while it just seems like too big of a undertaking. I'm just trying to figure it all out.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd start by getting a rock climbing harness and some rope (if the bank is REALLY steep) and working my way down to the edge of the water first, then take it from there.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Dragging a magnet is the cheapest and inital step I would take. I would save diving for the items that are buried.

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53- I am guessing the pond is in the 10 to 12 feet deep range and about 15 to 20 acres.

21stTNCav- I thought about a magnet but they do not pick up brass and I dont have one strong enough to pull a shell or cannon ball off the bottom. I know that they should be there as well (Ive dug grape shot here and fragments)

NOLA_Ken- Thats on the to-do list.

I will take some photos of the site next time I get a chance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Whatever you decide,for the first few times have someone with you!
Is the pond man-made and was it the same size at the time of the war?

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy- The pond is a period mill I believe. I dont see any evidence of it being a different size.

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
You might consider an above water air supply system. Gold dredgers use them quit a bit. Just a gas engine sitting on a tube or other small floating platform, pumping air to you. Just a thought. You can find them at almost any prospecting supply store. I think they call them a hookah. Don't quote me on that. :laughing7:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Any kind of underwater detector would work, I'd go with a cheaper one, if you don't plan on using it full time. There will be many relics in the water, mostly bullets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions