Help please, need advice, what would you do if this happened to your child??

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to take issue with the "condemn the child for the sins of the father" attitude by one (new) poster here.

First - I don't believe anyone here "dished" the teachers, except to say that there should have been at least one adult who would/should/could, have stepped in.

Second - I find it appalling, at best, to drag a weight issue into this - so, what if the child was diabetic? How did you get a picture, by the way?

Third - I do believe everyone here (almost) understands there was a mistake on the part of the parent - and that THAT is not the issue.

Being an adult means to be able to solve a issue once it happens - that's for the adults involved - (of course, this is making the assumption that the cafeteria person was an adult).

Lastly, I think, is the very thought of taking food from a child AFTER it has been given to him, is just - inhumane, at best.

So, again, punish the child for the mistake/oversight of an adult?

B

tyler6321

Greenie
May 8, 2008
I agree with most things being said on this board. I think it was wrong to take the food away and that the policy needs to be changed. I just think that there are better ways to solving this issue than playing the blame game and trying to get more people in trouble or embarrassed.

Change the policy-YES
Embarrass and bombard the school and workers with complaints-NO

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I think my post needs to be re-read by some as I made the diabetic statement. I never brough weight into the statement as well. I know many people who are not overweight and that are diabetic. My statement was aimed that what if "a kid forgot his lunch money and had a drop in glucose and fell out." No where did I say this child but what would the school do then? Explain that.
Pepperpump

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
The childs picture and weight came into this discussion because of a PM sent to me by billky. Although he's said go ahead and post it, I would never do such a thing out of respect for G4E right to privacy.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the record billKY contacted me after his first post
and asked me to review it. it is obvious he meant no harm.

and as I advised him that even though I disagreed with what he said
I felt he had a right to his Opinion.

it appears he removed it anyway.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
jeff of pa said:
for the record billKY contacted me after his first post
and asked me to review it. it is obvious he meant no harm.

and as I advised him that even though I disagreed with what he said
I felt he had a right to his Opinion.

it appears he removed it anyway.

it is on page one

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Opinions are fine unless they show predjudice against someone for their weight. And I don't believe in sharing pictures of someone without their consent let alone a minors pictures without theirs or their parents consent, even if they posted them on another web site concerning a totally different subject. Opinions yes, hate mail and invasion of a minors privacy no ! >:(

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I think I am bowing out after this one and still think you need to contact your super of schools and the rep of your district. I didn't get through and I'm not a vote for him/her so I am sure they don't realy care about me.

I never read where you were looking to get anyone fired so I must of missed that somewhere. Yeah the worker was doing their job and I am sure it was hard on them too or they have done so many they are numb to it anymore. Which is a problem too then. The teachers had to be unaware of his status. I just can't imagine them watching him just sit there I have too much faith in them for that. I know many teachers here personally and sure they there like here are underpaided and understaffed. So those in it are not in it to make a buck but they are teachers because they believe in education and my greatest mentor growing up were them.

Just a policy change is the need to be addressed is all. Someone suggested P&Js on standbye :thumbsup: my favorite meal lol. As one said yeah unfortunately some folks will take advanatage of the thing and just say well don't worry about it they will feed you anyway repeatly as they send thier child to school. I pay school taxes, have no kids so my tax money should help cover those unplanned times a sandwich and a drink is needed by any child. :thumbsup:

Still when we think of the child, they are more attentive, alert and learn when fueled. (fed) 2 bucks a meal now. wow I think mine were 50 cents . lol

Lastly we all must remember on all threads and posts there are children on this site and can read almost every post or comment made.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This post will be my last in this thread as well.

I believe that there are sincere concerns and sentiments on both sides of this issue.

For me, however, there are two overriding considerations:

1. The nurture and protection of the child.

2. The responsibility and accountability of the educators, administrators, and other school personnel entrusted with his care.

In view of what happened, it is difficult to ignore the need for improvement.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
major update ****

they saw the letter in the paper and they are getting calls from other parents, long story short, they scheduled an emergency meeting the policy is being changed! She said this type of thing will NEVER happen again in their school and no kid will go unfed!

She told me a mother called and complained about this same thing last week and they "thought" the problem was fixed.........well I guess it wasn't and I voiced my opinion LOUD and clear.

She also stated the head of the cafeteria will be doing a PUBLIC appology to all the parents of kids this has happened too.

Looks like our efforts actually worked to get a change put into place!

thanks to ALL who voiced their opinion, they actually are gonna fix this problem now!

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again to all who helped!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know - thanks for the update.

Pepperpump,

I may have inadvertently caused part of your concern. When I said "what if the child has diabetes" - I had missed the part where you had made the point, so, rather than it coming out like I meant it, it sounded (when I re-read my own post) like I was saying "so what". I actually meant it exactly the way you had said it - not the way my own sounded. I apologize for that. Children with diabetes have to eat at regular intervals to keep blood sugar at correct levels - and if a child has diabetes and misses a meal, there could be dire consequences.

Anyway ------ I am so glad the issue is solved - and, obviously, there had been other problems - so - everybody did a good thing.

Done deal!

B

K

Kentucky Kache

I agree that the policy of the school needed to be changed, and I'm glad it was changed. But if it ends there, the only lesson learned will be that what was done is okay, because it was the policy at the time. The lesson should be that some things are more important than policy and rules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread