Help please on fed roll difference?

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
On one post I read something about not wanting 'fed' rolls, of halfs, I believe. Is there some difference in rolls, or was that nothing to be concerned with? also, do all banks have boxes, or just loose rolls, and does it matter which I buy? I just need a bit of guidance before my virgin run (starting with halfs) to my banks I have accounts with, and know some tellers. All I know is to buy as many halfs as they have, and pray, Thanks!

Upvote 0

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
Boxes - None are really Fed rolls....they are boxed by the Carrier Company....I get boxes from Loomis (String & Sons) and Brinks. Both are hit or miss. I like boxes personally. You only have to make one stop, and don't waste alot of time

Hand Rolls-- Where you can get a big score...or no score at all. Depends on who put them there. Usually if it is a large amount -- over $300 you may be buying someone's dumps. I have bought plenty...but I've been fooled thinking that before too. Buy them all, unless you determine a dump pattern. This takes more time, but you have the possibility of running into a large amount of silver. Plus, it is really fun when the teller hands you loose silver because they don't know any better.

OP
OP
B

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Thank you for the clarification! How many rolls, to a box of halfs? $10 X ?

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Most banks have neither hand rolls OR boxes.

You need to order the boxes from your bank. Depending on the bank, you most likely need to be a member, but some of them allow you to phone in an order and they only ask for your first name and tele number so they can tell you when they come in. Even if they ask once you get there, they will still sell them, just not a second time (they don't want to be stuck with multiple boxes of coins they don't even use).

Some banks also charge you for ordering boxes... anything from $2 a box to over $20.00. Sometimes they don't hit you with fees until after you have already ordered for weeks or months. Though they can't charge you the fee without telling you there is one, so once they say "your next order will have a fee if you still want to make it", it is your call if you want to keep ordering from them or not.

Banks having handrolls are a hit or miss. If they DO have any, they will most likely be someones dumps and will be silverless, but you can also run across dream rolls this way as well.

The whole "sport" of halves is hit or miss... but it can be really fun when you are hitting!

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread