Nickle boxes

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
I think nickels are the most fun to CRH. Halves seem more like a chore to me as I like set building. Seems like everyone who CRH's halves is only concerned about pulling silver.
What other denomination will you regularly find coins from the 30's and 40's floating around in spare change?
I keep everything pre 60... I'm thinking of changing that to everything pre 56 though as I'm ending up with tons of 56-59's. Some like to keep everything pre 62 as the whitman #1 folder runs from 38-61.

I pulled a complete set* in 20 boxes.
I find on average 1 silver nickel per box
I find on average 1 Buffalo every other box
I find on average 2 foreign per box

The complete set:
There are 5 nickels which are tough to pull out of circulation
38DS, 39DS, and 50D (out of the 20 boxes I found the 38D)
Through 20 boxes I found 23 silver nickels. The set calls for 11.
I traded duplicates for ones I hadn't found with a local dealer.
this left me 12 extra silvers. I ebayed them. Then used the proceeds to pick up the 4 remaining nickels I was missing.
The 50D can be found for $8-12, the others can be picked up for less than a buck well circulated.
After it was all said and done I paid less than 6 cents per coin and have a complete set from 38-08. From 73 on it's AU or better.

Circulated rolls of 30s and 40s sell pretty well on ebay.

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Ive never done a box of nickels. But I love the rolls I have searched. I say give it a go and see if you enjoy it:-)

-K

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Nickels are awesome... I love'em.

If you do what the first replyer did with trading and selling your extras, a set isn't too too hard to come by. 20-30 boxes I would say.

I've done more than that and am still 3 coins short though.

One buffalo every other box is WAY above MY average. I've done over 30 boxes and have only found TWO buffs. So my average is like 1 per every 15+ boxes. :P

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more census data..

My totals through 225,327 nickels in 2008 (112.6635 boxes or 5633.175 rolls)

0 Shield Nickels0 Per box
6 V-Nickels0.0533 per box
17 Buffalo Nickels0.1509 per box
3180 Pre-1960 Jefferson Nickels28.2256 per box
88 War Nickels0.7811 per box
1 Proof Nickel0.0089 per box
140 Foreign/Non-Canadian Nickels1.2426 per box
529 Canadian Nickels4.6954 per box
167 Pre-1982 Canadian Nickels1.4823 per box

Notes:
* Most of my searching was doen in bags and not boxes which inflates the foreign coin totals.
* 4 of my V-nickels came from 1 bag, typical averages are lower

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
I've been wondering for a while whether location matters as to the composition of the obsoletes.

I live in Houston. I'd be willing to bet even money that through 2 boxes I would find 1 Buffalo. That said I have no idea how many boxes I've gone through (probably in the 3-4 hundred range), and I have never found anything older than a Buffalo.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I'll bet you a 40% half that you WON'T find one in 2 boxes... you need to video tape you going through the boxes though as proof. ;)

~Dave

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
My buffalo average is 1 in roughly 12,000, but that is dropping. I'm finding more now than I did ever before. I guess that averages out to be 1 Buffalo in every 6 boxes, or 0.17 per box.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buffalo average has been holding steady between 0.13 and 0.17 per box for 3 years now..

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Seriously !?! I can't believe that my average for Bufs is that much higher than everyone elses...
If anything it's been going up recently. Over the last month I've gone through 8 boxes and have found 6. 4 of those were no dates but Bufs none the less.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
My opinion is your sample size isn't large enough. I don't remember that much from statistics, perhaps someone else can work out the math for us, but it makes sense to me that considering the small number of Buffalos everyone is finding it takes a lot of nickels to arrive at a find average that remains constant even with the occasional lucky streak. As a contrast I search about three times as many pennies as nickels and find Wheats at a rate of 46x Buffalos, my average for finding Wheats has not changed from 2007 to 2008. Last year I searched about 121 boxes of nickels and found .32 Buffaloes per box, this year I've searched 61 more boxes worth so far and my average is now down to .28. (I've never hit a Buffalo hoard.)

I believe the biggest factor in find rates (excluding hoards) is location.

If your find rate is better, however, at least for now, enjoy it! Sounds good to me.

-Brian

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
If I recall correctly from one post or another, he HAS been going through a substantial amount of boxes and mantaining that rate. Or perhaps I am thinking of someone else... I dunno. =(

Either way... tak'em as you can gett'em.

And my 40% half bet still stands! ;)

~Dave

OP
OP
D

danny1987

May 1, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
If I recall correctly from one post or another, he HAS been going through a substantial amount of boxes and mantaining that rate. Or perhaps I am thinking of someone else... I dunno. =(

Either way... tak'em as you can gett'em.

And my 40% half bet still stands! ;)

~Dave
hmmmm.... how about you send me the half for further examination. I need to know if it is legitimate.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
kestrelia said:
My opinion is your sample size isn't large enough. I don't remember that much from statistics, perhaps someone else can work out the math for us, but it makes sense to me that considering the small number of Buffalos everyone is finding it takes a lot of nickels to arrive at a find average that remains constant even with the occasional lucky streak. As a contrast I search about three times as many pennies as nickels and find Wheats at a rate of 46x Buffalos, my average for finding Wheats has not changed from 2007 to 2008. Last year I searched about 121 boxes of nickels and found .32 Buffaloes per box, this year I've searched 61 more boxes worth so far and my average is now down to .28. (I've never hit a Buffalo hoard.)

I believe the biggest factor in find rates (excluding hoards) is location.

If your find rate is better, however, at least for now, enjoy it! Sounds good to me.

-Brian

Gotta agree with you Brian. He says (On anther post), he averages 12 wheats per box in Houston and I only get 5-6 based on 1.7 mil this year.
That being said, I see a Buff at least every other nickel box here. May be a good location for Buffalo hunting.

springcypress

Jun 9, 2008
Cypress Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
I'm going to take you up on that bet I think BB... I don't have any 40% clads... I do have a couple of MS63+ dimes though (56D,57D).

I think I mentioned it earlier though that I think location might play a factor in percentages... just for the record, I'm in the Houston area but usually pick my boxes up in small outlying towns when I'm at work.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Bring it on cypress. ;)

If you are averaging that much, there is still a chance you could get skunked out. ;)

I want that video though... and no handtricks!

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread