Help please with ancient coins

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just recently took a trip, and an old family friend showed me these coins that they inherited. I was shocked to see how old they are, but I need help in IDing them with some date estimates and approximate values. So I snapped a few pics and told them I'd ask here! Thanks!

(that shiny coin on the bottom is a new quarter for scale)

oldcoins2.jpg

oldcoins1.jpg

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks MJ for the info!

I was wondering about 'replicas' myself, and I actually have a replica similar to the owl coin reverse.

The guy this person inherited them from was very wealthy, and he had a lot of old US coins that were legit, and even though they could be replicas (and somebody scammed him or something), they would have had to in the mid-60's and with all the old and valuable things he did collect, it doesn't seem like he would do the replica thing. But that's just an opinion.

The person who had them said "just take them with you and find out," but we were visiting from 800 miles away and I didn't want to be responsible for them.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Montana, probably "copies". Look closely for the word "copy" on them. I've heard that at a certain point of time, replicas were required to put that on copies. If there is no sign of that, then they might still be copies, but will be older than that law. Also look closely at the rims to see if there is a ring around that would indicate casting. I hope they are real, but I would be skeptical. They would definitely look good in a display. Good luck.
Scott

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fake coins very badly made. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread