Help! Pottery? Or No.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have had this piece for about 2 weeks now . I'll look at it one time and say "I finally found NC pottery". 10 minutes later I'll say no, just a rock. Can y'all tell me once and for all. It is harder than most pottery I have. However, only one chard in my collection is from NC. Here it is!?!?

image-1656035665.jpg

image-2720728593.jpg

image-1275245156.jpg

image-2983509462.jpg

Thanks for any help at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
stefen said:

Ok. Thanks. That was what I thought until I talked myself out of that thought . Can you elaborate any? Tell me what the give away Is, so I don't make this mistake down the road? Thanks again!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pottery will have some items mixed in, like mica, shell, bone and of course clay. That is what I find in mine. And the texture is usually gritty and thin.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
Most pottery will have some items mixed in, like mica, shell, bone and of course clay. That is what I find in mine. And the texture is usually gritty and thin.

If you will, get gator to post some of his. I know region is off, but he has some thick pieces. I know pottery is around here. I have found 1 sad lonely chard. I honestly think all of my permissible grounds predate pottery. I think once again! That "thinking" has gotten me "Tarred and feathered" more than once!

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock I forgot to send you pictures of nc pottery ill do it today

Johnathan Griswold

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to imagine not finding no pottery here.I've got some places that are so remote that the pottery is so thick it makes it hard to find other artifacts.I've given away quite a few buckets of it over the years.Here's some I've got laying around right now.But it was used from anything from their pipes to bowls & kettles.Here's something I was reading awhile back about N.C. pottery that was cool to read for me on how old some of it has dated to being late Archaic...........................
http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf

Here's some of the type I find here.................
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 76
  • securedownload[2][1].jpg
    securedownload[2][1].jpg
    157 KB · Views: 75
  • securedownload[2][1] (2).jpg
    securedownload[2][1] (2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 88
  • securedownload[1][1].jpg
    securedownload[1][1].jpg
    277 KB · Views: 94
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 77

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Hard to imagine not finding no pottery here.I've got some places that are so remote that the pottery is so thick it makes it hard to find other artifacts.I've given away quite a few buckets of it over the years.Here's some I've got laying around right now.But it was used from anything from their pipes to bowls & kettles.Here's something I was reading awhile back about N.C. pottery that was cool to read for me on how old some of it has dated to being late Archaic...........................
http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf

Here's some of the type I find here.................
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

All i can say is dude!

Johnathan Griswold

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing amount of pottery. Truly I have only found 1 piece of pottery here with cord marks on it. Everything else has been plain and so thin and brown in color. I am in Ga.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pottery will look a little like a sandwich..in that the interior of the Chard will be slightly different in color than the part that was exposed to the sun or heat if fired. Depending on how old it is it could be fiber tempered.. San tempered.. or even broken pottery tempered..that is it was mixed with those materials when wet to prevent cracking when drying.pottery first showed up in archaic times in north America...Some belive from the Louisiana area some from Mexico or Texas. I also have spots that the pottery is so numerous that finding other items is a chore.

ForumRunner_20120919_204935.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could send you some if you want. Once you handle a few pieces its pretty easy to tell.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find alot of different designs. They represent different tribes from different areas of my state so I can tell who they were trading with. You can figure out alot with that info and follow the trail so to speak. I find new sites that way.

ForumRunner_20120919_211654.png

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pottery will look a little like a sandwich..in that the interior of the Chard will be slightly different in color than the part that was exposed to the sun or heat if fired. Depending on how old it is it could be fiber tempered.. San tempered.. or even broken pottery tempered..that is it was mixed with those materials when wet to prevent cracking when drying.pottery first showed up in archaic times in north America...Some belive from the Louisiana area some from Mexico or Texas. I also have spots that the pottery is so numerous that finding other items is a chore.

That is amazing to see that much exposed pottery in one place! There has to be so many more artifacts just under the sand!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes alot.. although if that site had been closer to good lithic material there would have been alot more points and chipped stone.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No!! Alot of nice artifacts! Just not nearly as much chert as if it were up by you or even farther north in Florida.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread