Help to IDing

Jacky

Jun 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Excalibur II
Hi everyone
Need help to identify this coin...
Is this the 2 reales from Lima, Peru PhillipII?

img2920v.jpg

img2921b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
2 reales, Lima mint and you are right about the King, Phillip II...

Stan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
It can further be narrowed down as being between 1568 and early 1571. In that year the pillar and waves changed to the cross. It is almost certainly assayer R (Rincoln), because there are no known examples of a 2 reale denomination with assayer X (Xines) who replaced Rincoln in 1571. Sewal Menzel's book "Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins" refers to your coin as a sub-type Ic (because of the "VSV" being between the pillars).

Stan

OP
OP
J

Jacky

Jun 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks Stan :icon_thumleft:
I´m not seeling it but what is the value of this coin...

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Well, obviously it would be worth a good bit more without the corrosion. Is there any documentation about where it came from? If there is a good shipwreck story behind it it might bring $150. Otherwise maybe as low as $40. If I found it I would be happy just to keep it!

Stan

OP
OP
J

Jacky

Jun 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I found this at the beach detecting.
I has looking a couple of websites and didn´t find this coin for sale.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we looking at the same coin????

Looks like a Mexico 2 reales...1542 - 1572 (late series-waves present).....Charles and Juana......Philip II

Look in Sedwick's book....

Stan your correct...

Trez

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Hmmm... I can pretty well make out the "I" and "P" form "PHILLIPVS" down around 4 and 5'oclock. The Mexico mint years you mention would say "CAROLVS" in this area.

Stan

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan (you the man)
you are correct...helps to look at the legend.
I'm retiring.....lol....you have more time.
Now I really am retiring...you even had the book posted above and I missed that too...UUGGG I HATE GETTING OLD and blind. lol

It does look like Lima mint...page 168-169 of Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins "Sewell Menzel"
The Early Spanish-American Mints and Their Coinages 1536-1773.

Glad your here for everyone Stan...
Keep us honest.

Trez

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Hey Trez, you can retire for tonight, but not permanently! I was on my other computer trying to get that image to sharpen up, but I couldn't get much out of it with my imaging software.

I'll have to say when I first looked at it I thought it might be a Potosi transition piece, so I was almost a good 100 years off to start. I didn't even get to the Mexican coins after finding the matchup on the pages you referenced so I could have just as easily been wrong too if I hadn't studied every detail. That's what makes these coins so much fun and it is all to easy for someone like me who is not an expert to make a mistake and not look at every detail.

Anyway, I just got lucky tonight. I'm still trying to figure out what the answer is to that Nazi counterstamp riddle. :icon_scratch:

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread