Early Cob

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm looking for opinions of the experts. I don't know much about cobs and don't know how to "read" them. I don't have a scale, but it is a relatively thick chunky piece. It has an approx. diameter to US half dollar. Also, what books and websites would you recommend for learning and educating oneself on the various cob types and pillar dollars? Thanks for everyone's opinion.

254.jpg
254-2.jpg

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks, Don. I'll check the book out at Amazon. Below the 16, does it look like a faint "P"? and would anyone be able to date (ballpark) via assayer marks?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 clues right away that give this one away (changed my mind on that statement, this one is interesting...).....they is one clue on the shield side...the other clue is the style of Castle on the cross side.

Macky you can answer this one....
Back to work....

Trez

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I am ordering the book today. Thanks, guys. From what I gather, different "castles" mean different locales for minting? Anyway, is there anyway to narrow the date down by assayer? Is there a list of different assayer marks for Potosi? What would the value of this cob be? Thanks again, everyone for the insight.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
16XX Potosi, Assayer T (Tapia), roman numeral denomination (typically 1618-1629 for assayer T). The castle and lion tail on Diver-Down's coin however is most like the image depicted for 1633-1640 in Sellschopp's chart of castle and lion styles. These are only sketches though

In looking at Paeoletti's book and close up pictures I think it is a 1619. I figure it is a dot rather than a cross between the P and T and the edges of the horizontal in the "T" turn down, so it is not a 1618. Also it has a large "O" over the denomination. Just my guess though....

Nice coin!

Stan

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
DiveWrecks said:
16XX Potosi, Assayer T (Tapia), roman numeral denomination (typically 1618-1629 for assayer T). The castle and lion tail on Diver-Down's coin however is most like the image depicted for 1633-1640 in Sellschopp's chart of castle and lion styles. These are only sketches though

In looking at Paeoletti's book and close up pictures I think it is a 1619. I figure it is a dot rather than a cross between the P and T and the edges of the horizontal in the "T" turn down, so it is not a 1618. Also it has a large "O" over the denomination. Just my guess though....

Nice coin!

Stan

Wow! You got all that from deciphering? Very cool. and Thanks again. Stan, what books/websites would you recommend?

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
My favorite book is "Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins" by Sewall Menzel. There are other important references for the collector (like the Sedwick book you ordered), but if I only was able to own one book on the subject this would be it. It is expensive, but what do you expect for a large format 500 page hardcover book on specialized subject. Search the title on Amazon... Another very nice book is "8 Reale Cobs of Potosi" by Emilio Paoletti. Since Potosi cobs are my favorite this reference has been great. There are some beautiful pieces pictured in that book. I would mention others, but I happened to just have these two at my desk. I would be glad to send you some other titles. Auction catalogs are also a great reference. If you are serious about cobs I would look at getting a hold of the catalogs from the Sedwick treasure auctions. Certainly buy them for all the future auctions, for $35 they are an excellent buy. I wish I had bought the first three when they came out. Since you ordered the book you may have already looked at sedwickcoins.com. There are really not a whole lot of great information sources out there on the web. That's why the books and catalogs are so essential.

Good to have you join us here....

Stan

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stan,

What do you think this is? Element of design? or die error/strike?
That was one of the elements that stuck out to me the first time I saw the post.
Trez

Attachments

• reales.JPG
    reales.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 446

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Looks like a chip in the die face. I would say eary 1600's Potosi mint, T assayer. Maybe a land find 8 reals or a real good Atocha coin.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Trez, I think when the die sinker put the little up pointing arrow centered just above the horizontal line it was shifted so far to the right that the left "wing" didn't show. He subsequently tried to correct this problem by using a small line shaped punch. Unfortunately he missed, even putting the line in the lower quadrant. I know its a stretch of the imagination, but 1619-1622 was when the dyslexic diesinker is thought to have served (see Menzel's notes on assayer T, page 277). This may be one of his many strange errors. Thanks for bringing it up for discussion.

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread