Help! Which large coil for MXT? Spider 12? Excelerator?

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Super 12 on my MXT and I honestly felt it didn't do any better than the 6x10 for depth. With my MXT at +2 and the 6x10 I hit a 45.70 cartridge case at an honest 12". That's deep enough for me. Good luck.

JG

Nov 15, 2006
Honestly, I would go with the factory spider coil. it really is made well and here in the USA. Any issues you have with it will be a pleasure in dealing with Whites, as opposed to the 'other' brand. They really are awesome coils and they stand behind them.

JG

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your soil condition and amount of trash.

In low to moderate mineralized soil, the 12" concentric spider coil should theoretically go deeper than a similar sized DD, but you will have to overlap your swings more to catch the deeper targets because of the cone shaped signal.

As the soils mineralization gets higher, the inherent design of a DD coil in not being as badly effected by ground mineralization comes into play and they should equal or surpass the concentric coils depth. Plus they have the bonus of covering a wider area with each sweep. Plus the DD with it's narrow scan width can separate targets somewhat better.

Both types of coils have their uses depending on location and conditions. And sometimes, in trashy environments, it may not be all about depth, but being able to ferret signals inbetween the junk, in which case, a small coil may be better overall. A big deep seeking coil will not help you if you get multiple targets underneath it all the time.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I was at a 5 day relic hunt in CT last week and I guy had the Hot Shot on his MXT and did very well. I also see a used one in the classifieds on this site. Good luck.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I was surprised that the White's 10 inch dd coil went deeper than the 6x10dd. I plan on using it when gold hunting in Rye Patch, NV....jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread