Help with DFX

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Soon after receiving my DFX, I left for Amsterdam. I have been detecting as much as possible but it is really tough here. The laws are VERY restrictive, the fields are in crops, I don't have a car so it had been "interesting." Since I was in a new land with really bad soil and lots and lots of trash in the soil - old iron especially. I went back to using mostly preset programs (Relic mode a good deal of the time) until I can figure out things. It is even hard to get a ground balance in many places. You can also forget the icons, no pull tabs, no quarters, no nickels, etc. So I have to depend on sound and the VDI number. Here is my problem/question. When I search here, the coins are usually encrusted in some sort of rock hard material. Hey they've been in the ground for 300 years. It's bad down there. My machine doesn't give a sound like a regular coin in the states. It is still a high-pitch chirp but that's not all the time. I have a friend that lives here and detects quite a lot. He can come behind me with his GoldMaxx and find coins all the time. So since the sounds are sometimes weird, I usually look for VDI numbers in the 20-50 range and 70-85 range, that are repeatable on different swings, return when I reset the display with the trigger, and the sound is not edgy or broken. My problem is, I don't usualyy get a graph to build with the item. Nothing. No bars much less a single bar. I get the VDI number, maybe a false icon, but no graph bars at all. Sometimes I get the collection of 20 bars all 1/8" high and all over the place. Also, I can get a nice 27 signal to dig but when I dig the item and before it is out of the hole, it goes to 95. Driving me nuts.

Any help would be appeciated.

I have the DFX book but with this weird soil and encrusted coins, I'm hesitant to change much right now.

Thanks,

Daryl

Attachments

• crappy coin.jpg
    crappy coin.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 144

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I have a DFX and have found the following on mine

When my battery seems to get a little low it gets squirrelly

Many times I go by sound or tone of the item with the VDI to determine what it is. If the VDI is bouncing it usually means trash

You can block items VDI ranges out so your not hearing them.

If your in relic mode you will hear lots of iron

read your manual and watch the videos on whites homepage they aare very informative

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Thanks bridgeendfarm,

I've noticed the battery thing to. My problem is just that the signals most of the time won't produce a VDI even when strong and clear. Or I'll get a good signal and the signagraph gives me 8 bars all over the place and no VDI. I just try to listen to the signal but with no VDI, every time I dig, it is rusted iron or nothing at all. It just goes away. Probably iron that just broke apart when dug. Or if it is deep, when I get about half way there, it goes to 95 - iron for sure. Just can't figure out why no VDI or signagraph on a strong signal. I've tried relic mode as well as prospecting but no difference. Coin mode is a no go.

Read and reread the manual. I have the "Digging Deeper with the DFX" book and it really doesn't say much about this situation. Just can't figure out why it does this. I know the soil here is bad but really this makes no sense.

Just driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Daryl

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
I thought that I had read somewhere(jimmy's or Clive's book- just started on Jeff's- I can't believe all the adjustments made possible on the DFX) that you won't get a VDI on signals that are not in the accepted range. I noticed this in the mixed mode program and was digging the targets to just see what was down there as the signals were strong ones. They always turned up to be undesireable digs, so I'll pass on them signals from now on. How's the Euros tally coming Prof? It's hot here in Montana(going for 102 today), but I will head for tree shade in the Park to practice some of the stuff that the afore mentioned authors have in their books..

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Euro count is steady climbing. Problem is it is all in the wrong direction. Out of my pocket. Found a few nice coins but mostly crape. Too much old rusted iron here. Oldest coin 310ad. Oldest Jetton 1689. Biggest silver 2 1/2 Guilder (1.5 ounces silver). Most coins unreadable. Few nice relics but not that much. Not having wheels is a bitch.

56 here today. Walleye fishing tomorrow.

I agree with what you say about the VDI. If I don't get a number or I get a 95, I don't dig anymore. I just don't know why it gives me nothing with such a good signal. I also agree about the adjustments. Going to take a long time to get this puppy trained.

Thanks,

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread