help with older xlt

f14tomcat

Greenie
Apr 19, 2009
i'm new to detecting. i've had the xlt for about 3 months.the deepest targets have been a 1858 flying eagle and 1905 dime at 7'' down. can't get any deeper. i read a post here about the dime air test. the detector is about 6''. the post read about checking ground from the power box to shaft . he stated he then air tested a dime at 9'' with slight signal at 11''. this box is grounded. any help would be great. tom in cinti.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That depth sounds about normal manny machines well hit at the most 5 to 8inches. Now there are some that are deep like minelabs :headbang:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not right Tomcat

Just air tested my old XLT with a dime and I have a good signal at 9 inches but the fade out to no signal is almost immediate. ( This is in Relic mode with no adjustment to sensitivity/Pre Amp or anything else ).

In most cases with the Spectrum its the coil that needs replacing. Could you borrow one off someone to see if there's any improvement ?

In Relic with AC/Pre Amp boosted, +95 accepted etc the dime blares out at 12 inches but again an almost immediate drop to no response within quarter to half an inch.

You haven't been sucked in by the "slow and low" brigade have you ? The faster the sweep speed the better.

OP
OP
F

f14tomcat

Greenie
Apr 19, 2009
Thank's for the replies. It is an old white's, but previous owner said he used very little. My main program i call explorer. It start's with factory relic, ac 55, except down to -31, and except +95. Also v.d.i. 78, preamp 13. My friend has a new version of the xlt, maybe i'll try to borrow his coil. Anyway to check coil with a meter. Swing speed 1to 2 seconds. I can't even get a silver half at 12''. Also recovery speed 10. Thank's again tomcat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread