SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's M6 - more issues?

I had the M6 out today and in addition to the 'chattery' issues I noticed now there seems to be a stunning lack of depth. I'm not kidding - I found it difficult to pick out/positively ID pennies at about 3 inches. They came in weak with a weak pinpoint too (VDI said 6"). I was using the stock 9.5 coil. I replaced the batteries even though they powered up at 11v. I called White's and they recommend I send it in - which I guess I will have to, but the machine isn't exhibiting any blatantly obvious problems. Argh! How do I explain this.... I want to like this machine, I really do! Can somebody help?

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's M6 - more issues?

Well first you should. Put fresh batteries in it. Then adjust your sens and all settings acording to the manual. Read the manual well over and over. That machine should at least give 5inches on a coin or jewlry. If it doesnt after all that i mentioned then send it in to get repaired. If returned and still has issues then sell it as is. Good luck :headbang:

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

could be a few things:
1. if you are using a coil cover could be something trapped inside it causing interference
2. could be a bad coil or loose connection where it screws in
3. could be bad motherboard
4. the targets you recovered were on edge(usually when this happens i get good vdi's in only 1 direction of sweep)
5. severe ground issues
6. masking of tagets by nearby junk

i will say this. i had mine out tuesday with the d2 coil and was hitting stuff at 8". i hunted an area next to a creek that floods and deposits a lot of mud..the targets weren't that old but most were DEEP. at least 6". i was wondering how far down the m6 would go prior to this but am now happy with it's performance in those regards.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Sounds just like mine!!! I won't send mine in either right now, but maybe come winter. Mine has never hit anything beyond 6", even that depth is questionable. I really do love this machine for shallow stuff it locks and ID's perfect. I guess thats why i too question whether anything is really wrong or not. I think my machine may be "too hot"?? I can't run anywhere near the preset sens and its basically unusable. I know a guy in our club has one that he can run wide open without issues and his gets good depth. Send it in when you can pry it from your hand!!!!!

Greg

OP
OP
SilverFinger

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

M6 - Gone but not forgotten.... Too many issues - not enough potential tweaks to be applied due to the minimalist controls. Exceptionally well made machine it was, but not for me. I'm moving on to a Fisher F5.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area

SilverFinger said:
M6 - Gone but not forgotten.... Too many issues - not enough potential tweaks to be applied due to the minimalist controls. Exceptionally well made machine it was, but not for me. I'm moving on to a Fisher F5.

Hi Silverfinger ,

I am amazed at what can be done ( tweak-wise ) with the few controls the M6 has .
Too bad your's had issues that caused you to lose faith in it . They are a great machine .
Good luck with your F-5 , I hope it works out for you .

H H ,
George

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had my M6 with the stock coil for two years and have been very happy with it. It is easy to use and has great depth and pinpointing. I've found numerous pennies down to 8-9" in depth. When looking for deep targets I do not use any descrimination and I keep the sensitivity as high as I can stand. I dig all non-ferrous targets. What has helped me find the deeper targets is to 1) eliminate all of the shallow targets first, 2) slow down my swing speed and 3) listen for those whisper signals and one-way signals. I also wonder however, how much I am missing at those greater depths and would really like to add another coil that will go ever deeper.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

SilverFinger, I borrowed an M6, put about 20 hours on it and regularly found dimes and pennies at 6 to 8 inches deep. Something's wrong with yours I'm sure. White's will take care of it with minimal pain.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.

I too own the M6 and have been detecting for about 6 months and have been very pleased. I have put in 100's of hours though with great success. However, how often and where you detect matters. I have pulled some coins at 6 to 8 inches, but am suspicious to the ratio of finds to silver coins. I hear a lot about the Minelab finding deep silver. :icon_scratch: I wonder if there is some truth to that. Anyone confident that there are machines out there that can find deeper targets than the M6? Since owning the M6 I have become more proficiant. I set the discrimination at 1 and depending on ground conditions set sensitivity between 60-80. I can now tell the different sounds between a wheat penny and a new penny. I can tell a coin between a pulltab/screwcap/can etc. I know when its a deep silver dime from the tone. You really have to listen to your machine. It takes practice.
Bottom line if someone can convince me the minelab can find deep silver, I would buy one in a minute. I would still keep the M6 though. Its easy to use and ready to go. :wink:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garabaldi said:
I too own the M6 and have been detecting for about 6 months and have been very pleased. I have put in 100's of hours though with great success. However, how often and where you detect matters. I have pulled some coins at 6 to 8 inches, but am suspicious to the ratio of finds to silver coins. I hear a lot about the Minelab finding deep silver. :icon_scratch: I wonder if there is some truth to that. Anyone confident that there are machines out there that can find deeper targets than the M6? Since owning the M6 I have become more proficiant. I set the discrimination at 1 and depending on ground conditions set sensitivity between 60-80. I can now tell the different sounds between a wheat penny and a new penny. I can tell a coin between a pulltab/screwcap/can etc. I know when its a deep silver dime from the tone. You really have to listen to your machine. It takes practice.
Bottom line if someone can convince me the minelab can find deep silver, I would buy one in a minute. I would still keep the M6 though. Its easy to use and ready to go. :wink:
Great points Garabaldi. If a Minelab is better than the M6 at finding deep silver, my guess is that its because its better at finding the silver among trash and iron. Silverfreak is amazing at finding the old silver in trashy areas with his Minelab. At many of the older sites I hunt, the iron targets are everywhere, masking out the good targets. With my M6 I wonder if I need to dig out virtually every piece of iron in order to find the silver that is mixed in. I may be wrong, but my hunch is that depth is not as big of an issue. The M6 with the 9.5" stock coil finds some deep targets for me.

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD

I've been using an M6 for about 2 years now. I couldn't be happier. As far as target separation and depth goes I feel that the coil is far more important than the machine. The M6 is a deep machine. I use the 6x10 dd coil as my primary coil. It is super at separating out the good stuff from the trash. I hunt mostly for coins and jewelry and find that I get plenty of depth with this combination for most areas. The 6x10 also allows you to increase senc to just about max and still run stable. With this setup I have no problem getting dimes at 6-7 inches. I just aquired the new D2 coil and have used it some. Because of the width of the coil one would expect to get greater depth than with the 6x10, and this is true. In areas that I have hunted before I am able to pull a few deeper 8-10 in coins out. However with the D2 you do loose some of the ability to separate targets that the 6x10 give you. For me I use the 6x10 in about 80 % of the areas I hunt because of heavy trash. The D2 I use in more open less trashy areas like soccer/football fields or in areas that I feel the targets are going to be deep. Just my 2 cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread