Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this painting signed W Richter. I thought it was Wilmer Richter, but the pieces I've found online are signed Wilmer S Richter. Interestingly enough, I found someone asking about the same picture on sammler.com searching google images. It is 27 x 22" canvas. Any help would be appreaciated.

Attachments

• richter.jpg
    richter.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 122
  • richter2.jpg
    richter2.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 109

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth more then 15 bucks is all I'll add. I'ts very nice.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The even grain of the canvas and muted colors point toward reproduction.

A lot of people make this mistake. Here's how easy it is to make a convincing painting reproduction today:

The original painting is photographed, and the photograph of the painting is printed onto canvas (today this can be done nicely with fairly inexpensive inkjet printers). The canvas is then stretched onto wooden bars and occasionally touched up with paint or varnish to simulate the real thing. Reproductions of this kind are extremely common, far more common than original pieces at resale.

Depending on how much paint and varnish are used to touch up the canvas, it can be very difficult even for a trained eye to make the distinction.

Yours looks like a straight print though, not seeif any paint on the canvas but would need to see better pics to make the distinction. Multiple people asking about the same one is a bad sign too, unless you happen to have the original.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
double post

Last edited:
OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a repro, I'd say probably from the 70's or 80's. I've read people from Europe asking about it as well.

Cheap mistake, I'm sure I'll get my money back on it next time I have a yard sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions