Help with pinpointers and holes

C

chickenhunter

I'm a newbie to the hobby and I am finding it very difficult to dig targets. I have a Discovery 3300 and run it in all metal mode (due to the wise advice of "dig every target"). Here's the problem: Once I have found a target to dig, I dig a hole and find nothing! I go over the dirt I remove and again over the hole multiple times and still don't find anything. At this point I would be thrilled to find a bottle cap or a pull tab! I know that I must be doing something wrong, I can't figure out what it is to correct it. There are no clubs in my area and I can't find anyone close by to detect with so everthing that I have learned thus far has been through this great forum. Do I need a pinpointer? Im I digging the wrong way? Any and all advice will greatley appreciated and put to good use. I'm no quiter but my frustration level is going up.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
I have a discovery 2200, with both a 4" coil, and the standard 8"
I would imagine all the BH detectors are similar.. The pinpoint location on mine, is Right smack in the middle of the hole in the center.. As a matter of fact, once I move the coil over the suspected location forward, and back, then left to right, I just use the center as a target. I dig a 4-5" plug by shoving my trowel into the ground at a slight angle, and either saw it around in a circle, or just plunge cut a circle by pushing it into the ground, in a circle around the target point.. I then pry up the plug, and wave it in front of the coil if the plug beeps (and it usually does) I cut it or break it in half. I then test each half with the coil. The half that beeps cut broken again, and a gain until the beep in a small particle in my hand.. Then, I pull out the Beer Cap :D
What i find usually happens, if it's a coin it sometimes falls out of the clump, and lands in the hole, or beside it.. I try to break up the clumps over a clean area.. Once I find the 'Beer Cap' or whatever, I put the dirt back in the hole, and try to put as much of the grass clump back on top as possible, then tamp down the area.. Never just leave your holes.. A plastic trowel would come in handy for checking piles of loose dirt in front of the coil.. I'm pretty new at this myself, and the first hour is the hardest, and most discouraging.. Bear with it. From my limited experience, I find 'good' stuff is always a solid signal, regardless of what range it's in..
Your aim will improve .. believe me...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you dig a plug at least the size of your coil. Only dig good repeat signals, waving your plug in front of the detector is good advise. Use a Frisbee to hold your dirt and spot treasures. A pinpointer will help but not needed, practice is the best thing. I am new too so what do I know.

Attachments

• coincache.jpg
    coincache.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 645
  • coincache.jpg
    coincache.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 584

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with your detector so I don't know if you have a pinpoint feature. I have a BH Land Ranger and ithas a pinpoint button.? If so, the common mistake is to try to set the coil right on top of where you got the signal.? Instead, set the coil just off to one side, initiate the pinpoint button and move it to the target.? When you get your loudest tone you are on top of it.? Also, not all coild pinpoint right in the center.? Put a target on the ground and when you find your loudest tone, see where the target is in relationship to the center of the coil.? It may be slightly off to one side of some coils instead of dead ceter.? JIM

greggww

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Richardson Tx.
I don't use a Bounty Hunter but if it is a weak, broken or iffey signal you may be chasing ghosts. Small bits of badly rusted iron can give a pretty good signal even though they are so deteriorated that they virtually disintigrate when moved. If you take a magnet with you and move it through the dirt after going after one of these disappearing signals and it has little bits stick to it you can pretty much assume that that is what happened I dont' like to use a bunch of discrimination but you may find it helpful to use a little. Also if the ground is very wet it can make targets more reactive than they should be. I also find one of the handheld pinpointers very useful, a lot of the time there will be a good target on angle to the side of the hole and it can be a great aid in locating it. HH Gregg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the BH to be pretty acurate in the depth of the target, so if you show a penny at 4" and dig down five and still no penny, you've probably missed it. Ditto on the handheld pinpointer. Lots of times the coin is on edge or is the same color as the dirt and difficult to see. Also, try backing off on your sensitivity. I only run mine at about 4 on the scale of my LR. Too much sensitivity will cause falsing. Can't think of anything else to suggest right now so good luck. JIM

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good pinpointer is worth its weight in gold. I use mine a lot when coins and finds are shallow, even before I dig. if the item is small or you miss point to begin with they can really help. If you don't want to buy one try a probe "8"brass" it will help you learn about marking the spot. Good luck.

Ed

Bulgarian

Sep 1, 2005
A METAL DETECTOR IS NOT A MAJIC WAND UNFORTUNATELY. IT TAKES PRACTICE LIKE ANY OTHER TOOL. I'M STILL MASTERING MINE :) YOU SHOULD PRACTICE IN YOUR HOUSE BEFORE GOING OUT. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF DIGGING. HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER SCATTER A FEW COINS ON THE FLOOR AND COVER THE ENTIRE FLOOR WITH NEWSPAPERS ( SO YOU CAN 'T SEE WHAT'S UNDER THEM). SCAN SLOWLY. WHEN YOU HEAR A SIGNAL GO OVER THE AREA 3-4 TIMES MOVING THE COIL [b]SLOWLY[/b] LEFT-RIGHT AND CLOSER-AWAY. MARK THE POTENTIAL TARGET WITH A MAGIC MARKER (MARK THE CIRCLE UNDER YOUR COIL AS SOON AS YOU HEAR THE BEEP) AND THEN FEEL WITH YOUR HANDS FOR A COIN UNDER THE MARK. EASIER THAN DIGGING RIGHT ?

HH

BULGARIAN

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
Hi;
all the advice is good except I have a little trouble with muds 8" plug advice. You can air test your coil with a coin, the second you get the loudest signal mark the top of the coil with a magic marker. You want to make the plug as small as possible. it is easier to retun the area to its normal state and too big of a plug will be pulled up buy a lawn mower and then all you have is another park off limits to thers.If you need to put the dirt on something cut a 6"x6" piece of plastic or cloth, it holds the dirt and is easy to return the dirt into the hole. hope this helps. I have been hunting since 1965 and this works for me.HH,Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread