Help with the Minelab 1000 Excalibur

Roxy

Aug 10, 2008
Jackson NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 & DetectPro
Hi All
I started having an issue with my machine, I was out at the beach with my Excalibur on Saturday. I set my machine so that the threshold was just audible. After about an hour my machine would go from what I call a low hum to a high pitched whine. It would stay that way until I came across a target or passed my detector by my scoop. This was happening on and off for the entire time I was hunting. If anyone else has had this problem. Can they please let me know how it was fixed. I have sent my machine back to Minlab several times in the last two years for various other issues. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Roxy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The Excaliber was designed to keep the last pitch of the target it passed over. So, for example, if you pass over a nail, the threshold hum will have a low threshold pitch. If you pass over a dime, the threshold hum will be a high pitch, etc...

If you're getting the threshold pitch to change hums WITHOUT having passed over a target, that means that you're probably running the sens. too high. The machine is getting intermittent "burps" (chatter) that it's interpretting as "the last target passed over". If you turn your sens. down, it'll stay at an undisturbed pitch. But I usually tolerate a little of this tone changes, when I'm trying to run a little on the hot side. To solve the intermittent jump to high pitch, I find that if you just tap the coil on the wet sand, it will jump back to the more pleasant low pitch. But that might depend on the mineralization of the sand wherever you are at, for if the tap trick works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread