Help with Unkown Beach Find

Beach_Walker

May 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! (Happy Memorial Day Weekend!) :hello:

I'm a beach walker with a hopeless penchant for picking up oddities that I find on my seaside strolls. This curiosity strikes my rather vivid imagination with all sorts of possibilities. (I am near the treasure coast of Florida, after all!) In all likelihood, it's something unimaginative like a metal bolt that fell of an ocean going vessel. The item is about 5" long.

Any suggestions on how I can (inexpensively) find out what's inside, without ruining it? (There is some sort of metal in there, as there's a very slight magnetic pull.) 002.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 1

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a concretion built up around an iron object.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Some poor sole .. That must have been a painful! :gold-bracelet:

OP
OP
B

Beach_Walker

May 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bruce - so this is, I'm sure, a goofy question. Is concretion something that happens naturally in the ocean? (In other words, did the ocean engulf this thing, or do you think it was like that before it went in the ocean?)

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a grinder to one small area until you see the iron peeking through. With enough to get an alligator clip onto, and then put it in an electrolysis tank. Not sure if the concretions of ocean residue will come off with the rust concretions but probably will. Just dont be surprised if there aint a whole lot left under it all. Hopefully it is preserved under all that wrapping. If it were a piece of hand forged iron, a couple wacks with a hammer may break off a chunk of exterior without harming the object. No harm in either methods in my opinion....unless you want to get it xrayed first. I would use method one.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
From wikipedia:
A concretion is a hard, compact mass of matter formed by the precipitation of mineral cement within the spaces between particles, and is found in sedimentary rock or soil.

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concretions are built up over time, the more time, the bigger it gets, kinda like rings on a tree. This process will continue until all the reactionable material is used up. In your case, ferric iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread