Helping IDing nickel mafunction

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Helping ID'ing nickel malfunction

I found this nickel, probably 15 or 20 years ago. Don't remember how I found, surely is was in my change. The reverse is perfectly normal and in good shape (steps visible). The front is completely blurred. When I found it I recall thinking that someone must have acid treated it or something, but there's no damage at all to the rim and the blurring is perfectly uniform.

I'm thinking now it's probably a grease error? Any thoughts or opinions on the coin are appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1110219.JPG
    P1110219.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P1110218.JPG
    P1110218.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you are Wickaboag with a link to some more common errors......

Brockage and capped die strikes: If a newly struck coin sticks to the surface of one of the dies, it acts as a die itself - called a die cap - and produces images on succeeding coins. The image produced by any die is the direct opposite on a coin, and brockages are no different. Since the image is raised on the coin adhering to the die, the image on the brockage is incused and reversed - a true mirror image. The first brockage strikes, perfect mirror images and undistorted, are most prized. As additional coins are struck from the capped die, the die cap begins to spread and thin under the pressures of striking, distorting its image. At some point, as the die cap becomes more distorted, the coins struck cease to be brockages and are known as capped die strikes.
Coin Errors and Goofs

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks Matthew. I guess I'll go ahead and take it out of the jar it's been in and put it in a 2x2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread