cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into one of my banks to ask for halves.

The teller apologised and said nothing today but two weeks ago she got a lot of silver coins in. (she knew why I was asking for halves) She said a little girl and her mother came in and she had hundreds of dollars face value in old coins. The girls grandparents had been giving them to her. She told the little girl (10-12) that she could get more for her money if she sold them to a coin store. (smart teller) She tried to talk her out of selling but the two insisted. So the teller paid cash for all the coins.

I asked the teller what happened to them. She said the next customer in line told her that he wanted to buy all the coins the girl had just brought in. So she sold them. Talk about being in the right place at the right time and having a little coin knowledge. Good for him. Anybody on this board the lucky guy?

She also said there was a half dollar she had never seen before. It was in fantastic shape. it had a lady's head, with curly hair, looking sideways. BARBER!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

mysterio

Apr 12, 2006
Here is my take on this...and I don't want to be flamed for it...I love CRHing but the guy in line should have offered to pay fair value to these people. I think the teller did the right thing but the guy was a vulture to the extent that he could have taken one more shot at helping them out...it's the right thing to do...I don't mind buying tons of silver for face if the depositor is not identifiable but I'd try to treat a person in front of me with more respect than swooping in...This is just my opinion so I don't need to hear from the naysayers. I wouldn't do it. Now, if they said "no" to me and rejected the extra money then so be it... ;D

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The teller did the right thing by offering some advice on how the girl could have gotten more money by taking the coins to a coin shop. Both the girl and the mother made a decision to not take the coins to a shop, therefore making the coins fair game. No one forced the girl to cash the coins in at face value and no one even knows how many of the coins were actually silver. I'm guessing by the sound of it a few coins were silver, but the exact number of silver coins may never be known unless someone on this board was that guy. I would have done the same thing and not felt bad about it at all. The girl was probably happy about getting the face value of the coins.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I'm with Willy. The teller offered advice and they wanted face value. Once is enough for my conscience. I would have bought them with no remorse.

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
I'm wondering if the little girl even got anything out of this or if mom needed some money for 'something' in a hurry. I'm just paranoid I guess. You don't have to know much about coin collections to know that if you have lots of old stuff, you'd be better off first trying a coin dealer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread