smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an idea...

There have been several posts recently about certain towns/cities banning metal detecting and most of these laws are started by archaeologists. Well my idea wooyuld be to target those of us who sell artifacts on sites like Ebay or Craigslist. If we went after the sellers of artifacts, then many people would probably leave this hobby. I dont know about how you guys feel and I certainly respect your opinion, but I am not a MDist for the money. I love this hobby and the joy of finding anything old. I still have my first wheaties and silver from 30 years ago. How many of us here metal detect for the joy of it and DONT profit from the hobby...meaning not selling finds on an annual basis to grow their bank roll. If what we found wasnt worth anything, would you still do it?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing wrong with the buying & selling of legally acquired artifacts. I'm waiting for the day when a rare painting or antique is discovered and someone screams, "artifact!" And that day may actually be closer then you think. :laughing9:

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smartmoney,
Here is a Question for You.
How many Gold Wedding Rings do I need?
How many Silver Rings do I need?
I have returned anything that I can to the Owners.
I can not say that I have ever sold anything in 15+ years or whatever it has been.
I will Not tell you I won’t either, it is an option that I have.

The only parks that I have seen closed up here recently are the one that people with Metal Deters have left in a Mess.

Next Question is, How are you going to Stop them.

OP
OP
smartmoney

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt questioning whether it was right or wrong, but the reason why archies want to stop us is because they see us profiting from it whereas they cannot. Zack...sorry I was referring to artifacts and if people were soley in it to make money. The show American Diggers portrays this hobby solely for money making which I think its not for most of us

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt questioning whether it was right or wrong, but the reason why archies want to stop us is because they see us profiting from it whereas they cannot. Zack...sorry I was referring to artifacts and if people were soley in it to make money. The show American Diggers portrays this hobby solely for money making which I think its not for most of us

The archeological community profits more then anyone from artifacts. They are a very critical part of their survival and funding and their communities future and growth. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that artifacts have no valuable, even monetary value, to the archeological community. This is a big part of the reason why the archeological community is lobbying so hard to stop the private sector.

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I take nice pictures of my silver coins and then sell them. We aren't rich...any money that can be made from something I gladly do for free is a bonus.

OP
OP
smartmoney

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take nice pictures of my silver coins and then sell them. We aren't rich...any money that can be made from something I gladly do for free is a bonus.

Thats a good idea...I just feel the few silver coins we find nowadays are not worth selling. If you find 10 a month, thats like $50 a month on average. I can see why someone would sell a gold righ but again a few hundred bucks isnt really worth it.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If what we found wasnt worth anything, would you still do it?

You bet I would! I don't care about money. Just learning about local history and digging it up is rewarding for me. I have a few hundred dollars worth of trade artifacts that I have recovered. I would never sell them for profit. For me it is more a of recovery effort that gets me off. Money is common. Everybody has some of it. But relics are rare.

-Swartzie

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not seen any of the shows that are out now on Metal Detecting, I just can’t see my self watching them.
I am sure there are people that are in this hobby just to make money, as of now I have not met them and don’t care to.
I do not have an issue with them selling items that they have found, Legally.

One thing that people need to under stand is the more they talk about these shows,
the interest that will be generated for these shows. People will watch the shows just to see if what they heard is true.

It is We the People that are in this Hobby as a Hobby that can change the minds of Joe Public out there watching these shows.

When you or I or any other MD’er are out in the Public doing what we do, We need to be a cut above these people on TV. Do a very neat job on our holes, always remove our trash, no matter how big it is. Always be polite to Joe Public and always have respect for them and the place you are hunting. One thing that always gets my attitude up is to see some one dig up a piece of junk, pull it out, look at it and throw it back in the Hole or just leave it for some one else to deal with.

Trash it what just closed the little park down the road from me.

Happy Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

do we realy Profit ? cost of equipment, Gas, etc. ?

the archeological community Profits through Grants.
archies don't set up digs, show & tells, write papers, advertise
for people to actually dig, so they don't break a sweat etc. for free.
it's called Grants.
the main excuse I keep hearing over & over when someone suggests a dig,
They need money to set them up.
the archeological community is not a Hobby, they are a business,
and we are threatening their ability to survive.

If someone in Warshington ever gets a clue, they will realize they can
save money by just letting people like us who love history for history, and
not the all mighty dollar, dig them at our expense.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

do we realy Profit ? cost of equipment, Gas, etc. ?

the archeological community Profits through Grants.
archies don't set up digs, show & tells, write papers, advertise
for people to actually dig, so they don't break a sweat etc. for free.
it's called Grants.
the main excuse I keep hearing over & over when someone suggests a dig,
They need money to set them up.
the archeological community is not a Hobby, they are a business,
and we are threatening their ability to survive.

If someone in Warshington ever gets a clue, they will realize they can
save money by just letting people like us who love history for history, and
not the all mighty dollar, dig them at our expense.

Correct. They protect it like a business, much in the same way Wal-Mart continues to stomp on its competition. But the archeological communities logic is flawed quite a bit because if you allowed the masses greater access and an open market there would be a lot more artifacts discovered, displayed, and openly floating about in public circulation. Archeologist could actually benefit greatly from it if they could just open their minds to a different way of thinking.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. They protect it like a business, much in the same way Wal-Mart continues to stomp on its competition. But the archeological communities logic is flawed quite a bit because if you allowed the masses greater access and an open market there would be a lot more artifacts discovered, displayed, and openly floating about in public circulation. Archeologist could actually benefit greatly from it if they could just open their minds to a different way of thinking.

Absolutely !

of course that only works If They start to Care about artifacts & History,
which I'm not too convinced means much to them.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course the archies profit, they get a wage, and protect their jobs. The museums get the artifacts, then at some point they sell them to another museum, or maybe even

to a private collector.

I really dont like someone telling me that I cannot sell what I find. Some funny ideas on this detecting site now.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been exploring the archeological reasoning behind their "public and lobbying positions" and it appears that it is largely driven by the powers to be, but not so much as a general consensus of the entire community. It appears the archeological community is firmly guided by a select few, well positioned dictators who control the existing system and the concepts that drive it. Unfortunately, the only people who can change that are the archeologist themselves and I don't see that happening in light of the obvious risk associated in such a Coup d'état (revolt), especially without a significant amount of support. From my perspective, this is the debate that should be entertained by the entire treasure hunting community, "How to go about providing that significant support?" If we continue to remain largely silent and continue cuddling the same logic as in the past then why should we expect different outcomes?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can't stop the buying and selling of "artifacts". Remember, not all "artifacts" are "dug". Some are and have simply been in collections, since they were brand new. Buttons, buckles, coins, etc.... might simply be in "grandma's attic" and simply passed down through the generations. There's simply no way to differentiate "dug" vs "non-dug".

OP
OP
smartmoney

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, but Im just looking for ways to preserve our hobby. Im tired of seeing more and more restrictions on us.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few proposals that contained language that could have been used to make the selling of "artifacts" illegal, and possibly even possessing them illegal. Would that proposed language be twisted in such a way....? So assuming that it can't be stopped is quite an assumption, the same type of assumption that has been taken for granted in the past at a great sacrifice to the treasure hunting community. Assuming they won't, or that they can't, has cost our community to suffer a lot of lost access and fundamental activities.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not being able to sell would be a restriction.
if that were to happen we would be under a larger microscope
to see if we are selling, and when they realize someone is getting away with it anyway,
more laws will be proposed.
Best course is to avoid helping the archies with any and all restrictions.

I say Live & Let Live

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread